A&P Color Profile Help (Cross Post in the Mac Shack)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ( * )( * ), Mar 12, 2008.

1. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Can someone learn me why my colors are off? :hs:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=96138805#post96138805

2. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

I've had some very weird and similar problems with some websites I've been working on lately. Is this a new problem for you?

I hadn't payed ALOT of attention on the MAC, but I noticed it did happen after a FF update. I think it's a recent occurrence though... Post up if you find the solution.

3. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

Actually, after reading your description, I don't know...

Thinking about it more,
    I designed a site in PS on a PC, looked fine. Uploaded it and looked fine in IE,FF,Opera.

Went to a MAC, looked fine in FF, but in Safari it looked all fucked up.

Not sure what the deal is.... in for the answer though too.

Btw, you checked to make sure CS3 was in the correct color space, etc I'm assuming...

4. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

Safari can read the embedded color profile of the picture and displays it as such. firefox lacks this, and therefore the colors are off. firefox beta 3 is supposed to fix this problem

a quick google search will yield this:
    http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/813

5. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

shoulda bought a PC. :)

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

What color profile are you using to work on?

Are you converting your image to a different color profile when saving?

I'm going to guess your images are either using prophoto or adobeRGB to edit your images, and are leaving them in that profile when you save as jpgs.

If you would, go into photoshop, open an image, go to 'convert to profile', select sRGB as the output profile, then save it.

Open the new image in firefox, and see if that looks any different.

If it does, you may have to take a hard look at how your profiles are setup, and decide what profile you want to work in.

I keep all of my images in ProPhoto, because 99% of my workflow ends up at the printer, not on the internets, and prophoto is a larger color space, which gives me a more accurate print. If I do want to put something on the web, I then convert the profile to sRGB and save a jpg, which I then put up on the web.

Gimme a minute, and i'll post one 'converted' image, and one that I left in prophoto, and you can compare the differences on your mac.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Ok.

These are the exact same image. All I did was save one while still in the prophoto profile, then I converted the profile to sRGB, and saved another copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get over yourself...

9. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour Active Member

Not really that different than the 'should've bought a canon' type posts. :o

10. Devin

Devin New Member

I have had similar problem. The web colors are insane . Keep me updated if you figure this out .

11. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

is my post invisible?

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Fellas,

If your profiles are correct, recalibrate your monitors at 2.2 gamma and D65.

system preferences>displays>color>calibrate>2.2 + D65.

13. Devin

Devin New Member

awww 2.2 : \. I send a lot of shit to print . 2.2 ruins prints for me .

14. tenplanescrashing

those are retarded too

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

why does 2.2 ruin prints? where do you send things to print? why do they insist on 1.8?

FWIW, I calibrate all of our printers and macs at school to 2.2 so they match the PC's and all non-color managed systems, and they all print perfectly.

16. Devin

Devin New Member

I send all my mag stuff @ 1.8 and at work I'm printing on a Epson 7800 Pro. Everything I've sent through it at 2.2 is way lighter than I want .

17. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I'm saving all jpgs in SRGB for web, never adobeRGB. It has to be something with the icc profile the i1 creates. When I choose the default 'Color LCD' profile under sys pref/display/color, everything looks ok, in CS3, FF, and Safari. Once I select the new profile, everything gets jacked up. Is anyone else using an i1 with a MAC?

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

ok, it looks like your fix is also the difference between 1.8 and 2.2. Have you tried that yet?

I use the Huey Pro in the mac classrooms, but I do have the i1 equipment. I'll try that out when I get to work this morning and let you know.

FWIW, I can replicate your problem by turning the mbp i'm on right now back to 1.8.

DEVIN - Another way you can do it, albeit temporary, is to softproof for 'Monitor RGB' in photoshop before outputting for web.

View>proof colors>Monitor RGB, then apple+Y to turn it on and off.

If you've edited your images in 1.8, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to switch to 2.2 without having to correct the color shift. It's like editing your pictures on a non-calibrated display, only to discover they have a green tint when you get to a calibrated display - eventually you're going to have to re-edit to get rid of the green shift...

19. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I tried your 'fix' by creating a profile, but it's not entirely accurate. It sure beats the blue->purple shift, but it's not a fix. What's really odd, is that while I have images open in CS/FF/Safari, and make the profile change, everything gets 'corrected', but once I close everything out and re-open, it reverts back to the color shift. Time to open a ticket with xrite. :wtc:

Thanks for your help.

20. tenplanescrashing

i don't use anything other than Color LCD because the other default profiles aren't setup to any particular preferences. They expect you to edit the other profiles to your liking but the Color LCD profile is very well optimized for every day use.

21. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Well....tested the i1display on 3 other apple machines, turns out it's an issue with the i1 not playing nice with the OS. Used the latest software from xrite, tested on Leopard and Tiger, all 3 had the same issue. xrite has yet to get back to me, but it's definitely a compatibility issue. :wtc:

22. Spurious

Spurious New Member

When does this "just work" thing kick in? :mamoru:

23. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I appreciate you keeping me up to date on this... If you could, post the solution when you find it....

I have an i1 setup that primarily gets used on the PC's, since we equip all of the mac's with Huey pro's...

But I much prefer the i1.