A&P color not accurate when printed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by legendr34, Dec 15, 2008.

1. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

so i took some photos to sams club to get printed. although they look nice, the colors are off, they are warmer. on all three of my monitors, the colors match.

is it my monitors or is just that fuji prints suck

just as a note, all three monitor are non calibrated

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

all three monitor are non calibrated

3. legendr34

yes, but how can they be that off? doesn't the monitor have to be calibrated with the printer at the same time anyway?

4. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

I've noticed the the monitors at my work always show my pictures warmer than my calibrated monitor at home. I advise getting your monitor calibrated and retry. My prints from Millers always come back nuts on on the color.

5. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

If they are connected to the same computer, then your video driver could be using its own default color profile.

calibrate your monitor and try again.

search online for a color profile for you monitor, it won't be as good as actually running the calibration on the monitor, but it will get you close.

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Your non calibrated monitors are typically going to make everything hotter and brighter then print. It makes them look attractive when you are shopping for a new monitor;-)

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I did the same thing @ sam's club. Wife ordered xmas cards online and had some developed. The xmas cards came out great, but the regular ones are too dark, colors are off, and just don't look right.

8. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Obviously calibrate your monitors.

9. mikeskillz

mikeskillz New Member

your monitor and their printer calibration are different.

you can try http://www.drycreekphoto.com/ to find the color profile for the printer you're using (the exact sams club), and try to calibrate your monitor to avoid it in the future. or just correct for it ahead of time and know that your "bluish" photos will turn out just right.

10. legendr34

when calibrating a monitor, don't i have to calibrate it to the print out?

11. legendr34

so what is a good monitor calibration tool? i do have settings from other users "calibrated" monitor if that even helps.

12. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

It's good because you then use a printer profile, and things match up.

Logic will tell you that it would be impossible for every printer in the world to print exactly the same.

2 parts to this rodeo. It frustrates me too at times. I use Costco, and I have their printer profiles on hand.

13. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

You need to buy a physical monitor calibration kit. Pantone Huey, Colorvision Spyder, or X-Rite i1Display 2, in order of goodness. You calibrate your monitor to a standard color space, so does your printing company, and your prints always match your monitor.

14. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'm in the industry as a printer service tech. I work on everything from copiers to highend production color printers and I've often wondered how good those profiles that a place like costco gives out will actually work.

On the equipment I service a profile would only be effective if it was issued right after a full preventative maintenance and color calibration was performed. Furthermore my equipment will make the necessary adjustments on its own to keep the colors close, but will allow for quite a deviance if your doing a large job. This is an issue I get with higher production clients all the time. The only way to correct it is to set the printer to perform calibrations much more often which slows down the print process.

Oh well maybe costco's Noritsu printers calibrate before each job.

15. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Has worked well enough for me not to bitch about it :dunno:

16. johan

johan Active Member

Their display isn't yours.

Rather than explain it all, basically just buy or borrow a hardware calibration device.

I have had good results with a Spyder 3. Calibration needs to be repeated at intervals, so consider hanging onto it, its not a one time job.

I recal before big edit/print jobs.

17. legendr34

thx, i'll look into it. i don't print too much, so its probably not worth it right now

18. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

1st: calibrate your monitor so you are seeing what you're going to print
    2nd: don't go to Sam's to get prints :o

a lot of places like Sam's or Wolf/Ritz camera etc have "color correction" turned on by default on their machines and it will run on your files unless you specifically tell them not to. Look into someone like Millers or Whitehouse, hell MPIX is the consumer front for Millers and they will give you better quality than Sam's.