Color Laser printer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

Pretty basic question, my boss wants a color laser printer in the office. Probably in the $800 - $1300 range. Likely it'll sit all week getting a document or two, then be asked to shoot out a couple hundred copies of full color maps for field personnel 2-3 times a month.
    Lexmark? HP? Canon? I dunno, I haven't looked at a laser printer in the last 5 years.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Xerox Phaser. People will bitch about how it's not really a laser printer, but it works like a laser and it prints in color. They're awesome.

Get one that can print two-sided automatically.

3. Gob

Those Phasers look pretty nice, what can I expect as far as having to replace ink cartridges? (I know it depends on the type of printing, but just generally speaking)

Edit: Model 6360/DN is the model I'm checking out right now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

We have a HP 3550 at work. It has served well. Ink carts are about $130 each. We recently had a jamming problem, but after that was resolved, it hasnt jammed since. However, my coworker found that the 3550 shuts itself down if it overheats... and it doesnt have much of a heat tolerance. On occasion we print a few hundred pages of card stock, and it would do 5 pages, then stop to cool down for 10 minutes, then print 5 more pages, etc.

We also have a HP 3800 that seems much better in terms of performance, if it has a cooldown period/mode, we haven't reached it yet, printing the same few hundred pages every week that the 3550 couldn't handle.

Not sure i have a recommendation for you, but there's my experiences with them at our office. From the two we have 3800 > 3550.

5. Gob

We've got 5 smaller HP's in various places right now. I swear not a one of them can print squarely on the paper. Its always a few degrees off. I don't know why this pisses me off so bad. (This is random and not at all relevant)
    I appreciate the feedback on the 3550 and 3800's though, I'll take a look at them. I think I am shying away from HP at the moment.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's about $200 apiece for the big crayon things that the Phasers use every few months, plus a couple hundred bucks more for imaging units every few years, but that's if you use the printer every day. My office probably goes through a 500-sheet pack of paper every three days on the thing, and in true business-quality style the printer is actually serviceable, so if yours isn't going to get used constantly then it will probably last a decade before needing replacement.

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

They are expensive to run and you can only get parts in one place. XEROX.

If the pages are going to be used in the field be weary of the sun. If you lay a stack of sheets on the hood of your truck on a hot day you will create a nice brick of pages.

8. copiertalk

See if the printer has a thick paper mode. Most models do and it will cause the fuser to cycle hoter and faster to maintain fuser temp to avoid this. It may still happen with card stock as it is pretty thick and dissipates alot of heat from the middle of the fuser while the outside of the fuser is still hot.

9. copiertalk

Look at total cost of ownership over 100,000 prints.

How many prints will a cartridge of toner provide based on what percent fill.

How long do the drums last?

How long do the transfer sheets last?

How long is the pm schedule? is it end the end user that does it or do you need a tech to install the parts?

If you need thicker stock paper , make sure the specs of the machine allow for it.

Once you have added all the parts,supplies and labor together. Divide it by the number of pages. This will give you your cost per print (excluding paper).

10. Gob

Hah.. I'd never thought of the effect of sun on a bunch of color maps.
    Any suggestions on brands/models you like?