A&P Color Dullness - Help Please (56k Warning)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Phil Blunts, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

I tried calibrating my monitor, do I need to do something in photoshop? Obviously I can't show you the differnce, but these pictures, while still a bit desaturated as that is the effect I was going for, had much more POP in them in photoshop than they do after I exported as either png or jpg.

What am I doing wrong? I want to print some of these, but I want them to look how they do in photoshop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Help me please, I can see myself improving, I just need to figure this out as it is very irritating.

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Which monitor calibration unit are you using? I hear the Monaco is pretty nice.

3. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Adobe RGB?

4. CRC

CRC New Member

werd. i was going to mention that. Check under preferences in photoshop

5. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Make sure it is sRGB before saving it.

Goto Edit -> Convert to Profile
    Make sure destination profile is sRGB

Source profile is probably AdobeRGB

6. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

It was. Unfortunately, I'm at work now, so I only have 5.5 here but I just played around a bit w/the low res PNG files and I like the outcome much better.

The differences are subtle, but I like them. The berries have more pop, the headlights and yellow in the license plate of the buick have more pop, the blue in the packard has more pop and the stargazers pink have more pop.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Auspicious one

Auspicious one New Member

[​IMG]

nice :bigthumb: i liek the headlights

8. wow.. no :hsugh:

9. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

Please god of photography, show me some of your shots, and some of your post processing. Because out of ten forums, pbase and photosig, you're the only person who has given me a negative comment at all.

Nevermind, I just saw some of your amazing talent. You can keep your opinion, hoss.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2006
  10. Auspicious one

:bowdown: :rofl: :bowdown:

11. CRC

CRC New Member

agreed

12. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

:hsugh:

If these are your best of the year, I don't really value your opinion much either. Your pictures are all mediocre at best, you need to learn not to frame every shot in the center, it gets old. It also wouldn't hurt you to post process a bit. And last but not least, at least I don't have to rent my lenses, donkey.

I guess I should keep my photographs on a photography forum, because it's obvious every jackass with a camera here thinks they are god's gift to taking photographs. If you think there's something wrong with it. Instead of being an idiot and just saying no, explain exactly what YOU could have done better.

I don't understand how every single comment I got on pbase and photosig, as well as quite a few art/design forums (places made for photographers and designers) were positive. I've actually had two people request high-res of the stargazers to print and frame.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2236792

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2006
  13. sony

sony Active Member

14. eof

eof New Member

Please keep posting in the photography forum...I enjoy you ripping on people. Just don't rip on me... :noes:

15. CRC

CRC New Member

16. sony

sony Active Member

While I'll agree with you that Low and BadHawk aren't the greatest photographers, I also feel that the ability to enjoy photography is completely unrelated to the ability to take photographs. What I mean, is that you do not need to be an excellent photographer to think a picture is bad.

For example: You can look at a new car from an auto manufacturer and say to somebody, "That looks awful!" What would be your response if you got a letter from the auto manufacturer the next week the said something like.. "Let's see you design a better car" Ah ha! Based on your logic, you don't have the right to critisize anything unless you can do better, right?

Wrong! I think the issue here isn't the question of whether or not your photos are good or not, but to undertand the fact that you will never be able to please everybody. Just because others have liked your photographs doesn't mean everybody has to. This is something you must accept and move on.

As for the people who are :mb: about the pictures. You have to realize that this is the A&P forum. If you're going to say somebody's pictures suck, you should at least accompany your claims with some kind of suggestion or reasoning behind it. Comments like the ones you made might fly in the main forum, but here they are useless for several reasons. They are offensive without reasoning, they add nothing to discussion, and they distract everybody's attention from the photography to flaming.

With that said, I think you all suck. :fawkd:

just kidding :hsugh:

17. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Very well said...

18. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

Don't let a few bad apples ruin it for you. If they can't give feedback on why they think it's not a good photo, then ignore them.

19. :bowrofl: I like this guy :mamoru:

20. quickmex

quickmex New Member

This may be silly, but have you tried color balancing them at all? They just have a very cold feeling that I think makes them have that bland feeling.

21. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

That was my point. I wasn't posting some stupid video or something where two line responses knocking it were really needed.

If you don't like them fine, like you said, that's your opinion. But if you're going to just critize without saying why, or what about them, it's kinda bullshit. Especially to just flat out knock on someone without explaining the issue, when you yourself can't do better.

22. sony

sony Active Member

Well, that's what you should've said instead of flaming them back. :sadwavey: You know what they say about two wrongs. :(

23. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

I wanted them cold. The cars were shot in winter, on overcast days, and I was trying to express that. The flowers were shot in my front yard a couple months back against the cement foundation, so the contrast was already pretty strong, all I did was completely desaturate the already somewhat desaturated background to make the contrast stronger.

I hang only black and white picture in my house for some reason. I thought that having a little color would look nice, so that was the main reason for the stargazers pic. Plus they're my wife's favorite flowers so I won some points taking and framing the shot for her.

The flowers were also my first shots with the nikon 50mm f/1.4 back when I got it. I love that lens.

24. Phil Blunts

Phil Blunts Guest

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an asshole. And I had a particularly bad week so I'm a little more asshole right now. 80 works for launch and launch support of a huge site tends to wear at you.

25. Auspicious one

[Pure intention]
    [will set two lovers souls in motion]

Schism

ftw :mamoru: