Color blocking during movies with 2405fpw

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, May 3, 2006.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I just assembled my new 2405fpw using VGA video input and when I watch movies, I notice that some areas are "blocky" where all the colors are identical and noticably stand out. Is it because I am using VGA? I just switched from a CRT and it had better color reproduction than this monitor so I am wondering if its just LCD technology or if I got a bad monitor or if it's a connection issue.

2. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I've never had mine do that when watching movies, but I use a DVI cable :dunno:

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Movies as in DVDs or downloaded?

I notice blockyness in blacks or anywhere where the color is the same (not on a 2405fpw), it might just be from your computer stretching the image.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

how big are the blocks?
    could they be digital artifacts caused by high compression?

5. crod242

crod242 New Member

install the latest drivers for your video card and also the drivers dell provides for the monitor, you might want to try connecting through DVI, that's how I have mine set up and I haven't noticed any problems Also, if you turn on "video mode" in the on-screen menu it might help, the manual says that will brighten colors and contrasts for watching movies.

PS: are you able to set it to the native 1900x1200 or not?

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The blockiness is definitely compression artifacting; MPEG compression is destructive compression, in the sense that it deletes video data from areas of each frame where the viewer is unlikely to notice the detail. Which is great, if you're not particularly observant. You're probably noticing the artifacting on your LCD because LCDs are more accurate at showing slight differences in darker colors, and because the DVI signal that LCDs use is higher-quality than a VGA signal. You might be able to find some sort of a gradient-generator setting in your DVD software that will take those artifacts and smooth them out again.

7. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

You guys are right. I just watched some high quality stuff in MKV/OGM format and it's far superior to the MPEG quality I was watching before.