SRS College

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pooperr, Dec 2, 2009.

1. pooperr

pooperr New Member

Due to a couple bad decisions I've made recently, I screwed myself over in school. I've missed classes for about a month and finals are coming up and I have no idea what I'm suppose to do. I'm planning on transferring out to another school, but I'm sure I will have to repeat my current classes as it seems that I'm not passing. I'm sure other people had it worse, and others weren't as bad, but it's kind of freaking me out. I'm really planning on getting my shit straight from here. My question to all is: how bad have you or others you've known messed up in college and how did you or they pull through? thanks

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Remember, Quitters never win, and Winners never quit.

All sacrifices are necessary along with a 'i never give up' attitude. Stop looking at the problems because you will get overwelmed, start looking at the solutions and only work on them and the sun will shine on them. It will take tremendous amount of effort, but one must always do effort to get out of the black hole of despair in life. Climb as much as you can for any effort to graduate is worth it.

Remember you can't afford to make mistakes, throw everything negative out of your life like garbage, and stay focused for the long term momentum.

Regardless wether you pass or not, its the attitude towards the situation that counts, stop thinking,forget the rest and start solemnly working only on your victory,keep the momentum and keep doing that for the rest of your life.

Don't change school, (finish what you start.) <- a strict principal rule of life.

3. pooperr

pooperr New Member

I'm planning my steps out now. I appreciate that a lot. Very good and insightful advice. Thanks.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

I left one school with a GPA of 0.7 because I didn't want to be there. To get into the next school, I had to "prove" that I would do the work so they asked me to take some night classes and show them that I really was capable. I took some night classes and got mostly As, applied to the school I *wanted* to be at, and was accepted.

Make an appt with admissions at the school you expect to transfer to and go talk to them. You may be planning to transfer, but that doesn't mean they'll want you. So it's better to find out if there's somehting you need to do *NOW* rather than apply and get rejected and lose a semester (or 3) because you have to raise your GPA.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

these read like a bunch of Hallmark "sorry for your loss" cards :rofl:
    But I really replied because of this.
    This may be 100% wrong.

It's important to finish school, but it is NOT important that he finish at *THAT* school. I went full time at one school and hated it there. I took classes at 4 or 5 more schools to figure out where I wanted to be, then applied and went full time and graduated from the one I liked. If I went with your "Don't change school, (finish what you start.)" principle, I would not have ever finished college.

A better principle is "finish school, whatever it takes" or even "knowing *when* to quit is as important as trying your hardest." But "a strict principal rule of life" is always going to have exceptions. Your rules need to be more plastic, so they can bend with the situation. Don't lose sight of the goal.... a degree. *WHERE* that comes from isn't so important.

6. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

Agreed with 7960.

I left my first college after my sophomore year with a GPA around 2.3 because I realized that I wasn't mature enough to have the work ethic required to be an engineering student, I hated the campus, and tuition was ridiculously expensive for a private school

I took a year off, got my shit together, took a couple classes the semester before I transferred into the new university to smooth the process and I was good to go. Transferring was a bitch for me because I did a pretty major shift in concentration and some of my credits didnt apply to anything, but I was cool with that.

Retaking classes isn't a bad thing either, if you failed the first time and retake it at the new school, you should be able to get a high grade no problem.

7. B. Keaton

B. Keaton Guest

my first year and a half I wasn't doing well at all mainly because I wasn't ready for it. I believe I ended up with just under a 2.0. I took a step back to consider my situation. I took a job for about 2 years and then went back (same school) and was more prepared, saw the value of education and did well (3.6).

I don't understand this craze that you have to go from high school to college without skipping a beat. It may work for some, but I also think that if more students knew it was "ok" to take some time away from school to mature and then return, more would appreciate it and do better IMO.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

my wife and I already discussed this and came to a few conclusions:

-we're saving for our kids' college, but we're not going to pay the entire bill. they will work for their own college money. obviously they won't be able to save enough to pay the entire bill, so we'll help. on the one hand, I don't want them strapped with tens of thousands in loans when they graduate, but I also am not going to pay the full bill so it's "too easy."

-I'm going to encourage our kids to take a year off between HS and college. IMO the best thing they could possibly do is take 3 months and drive to the 4 corners of the US, then come home and get a job until it's time to go to college.

9. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Holy shit, I remember talking about this with you in one of my threads a while back!:)

Anyway, I signed up for 4 classes at my local community college. I did this 2 TIMES! Both times I just randomly stopped going to class because I didn't see the value of an education, and I also had a severe anxiety problem which made going to school really hard for me.

So, I would have 8 F's on my transcripts if I wanted to transfer to a university once I was done there. With 8 F's, I would need to get straight A's for 2 years and my GPA would still be a 2.75 at best.

I ended up signing up at another community college and I am pretty much getting A's and B's since after 3 years post high school of working crummy jobs, I finally realize that school is the ticket to a better life.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

my advice isn't different now, is it? :iorun:

11. teo

teo . => ? => !

If you're ready to get down to business, go and speak with each of your professors individually about your current progress in class and how you can pull up your grades and prep for the finals. You don't have to go into detail about your personal life. Even just the act of making yourself known to the professor can have a good effect. Once you've done this you should have a very good idea of what needs to be done and your stress level will go down because you'll have fewer unknowns hanging over your head. As 7960 says, better to work towards your success than stress over your not-yet-realized failure.

12. Ritley

Ritley New Member

If you have bad grades at one school and essentially would have to start over at another school, would it be possible to just not tell the new school about your other school's grades and start from scratch? I honestly don't know and it's something I've wondered about.

13. pooperr

pooperr New Member

I've already e-mailed all of my professors and talked to them on the phone. I really have to make some progress right now. I also met with my advisor this morning to figure out some stuff so I feel a lot better. lol

I'm pretty sure your old transcript will have to transfer over to the new school. I may not be correct though.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and stories. This really helped!

14. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

Only my credits transferred, some schools may do GPA though.

15. chickenfeather

chickenfeather New Member

You have to identify the reason why you missed those classes and eliminate it from your life (gaming, clubbing, tv, girlfriend, etc). Replace it with studying and you should be fine. Don't be afraid to fail, but learn from it and pick yourself up to keep it from happening again.