SRS College woes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Charonchan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Charonchan

Charonchan New Member

So I'm almost done with my first semester in college. It's horrible. I have major test anxiety and literally don't know how to study. I'll be feeling good about a class, go to the test and come back crying. This caused me to give up hope halfway through the semester, and now I'm paying for it...

I might, if I'm lucky, pass one of my three classes. I have a physics final today, which I'm in no way ready for and prepared to fail. I also had a physics lab book due last week, which I never finished and still haven't handed in. I think I have a calc final on friday, but I haven't even attended that class for half a semester.

I've been having anxiety issues since the spring, when I basically had a nervous breakdown from rushing through projects to finish my senior year of high school, among other things. I've also been having nightmares about topics I'm worried about constantly. Like failing.

I'm at the end of my rope. I don't want to fail out of this college: I like it, and I've found a great community of friends (I'm just too embarrassed to talk to them). I need help getting through this last week alive and preparing for next semester so that this doesn't happen again.

(We're also allowed to bring laptops and notes to this physics I final, so suggestions of where to find practice problems and stuff, or even how to do some super-cramming would be invaluable. And how do I talk to my teacher about my lab book...?)

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

For everything in life that you want to succeed in you need a positive approuch. Fighting the problem is better then running from it. What you need to do is stop going around the problem, and just sit down and study. But not to the point that you go crazy. Dedicate all your time to studying so that you don't have time to worry.

3. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Can you honestly say you put forth a valid effort? This is college, not high school. You can't just do your homework for 15 minutes and expect to understand everything. The lectures are a rough guide, not the bible. That's why you spend so much on a textbook, that's why your school should offer extra help on subject matter, that's why your professor has office hours a few times a week, that's why your professor has an email addres... I'm sure you have anxiety issues partly because you know deep down you're going through the motions of doing work but you're actually not doing anything. Very few people like studying... there is no trick believe it or not. You should clearly look at this semester as a clear guide on what not to do next semester, if you go back.

Also remember college isn't for everyone. If you feel like it's too much for you then just don't go back.

4. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I'm not going to tell you what to do but here's what worked for me:

1) Attend classes regularly. (unless professor reads off slides and posts them up later)
    2) Do homework and submit on time.
    3) For tests, study those homeworks and quizzes, then lecture notes.

The questions most professors assign you are for a reason : Because it helps you understand the idea he wants to get across for that topic. If you do your homework/quizzes and understand it well, it should be downhill from here. If you make mistakes, it's ok. Go find out what you did wrong and learn how to make it right.

All this is not something you can do in the week before finals. It's an ongoing semester-long process.

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I made this same mistake. I almost never showed up to lectures the first few semesters and I paid for it badly. You fucked up your first semester, but you can always retake it, thats the beauty of college. Just don't fuck it up again.

Show up to every single class. Make friends with someone in class so that you can study together. Atleast attempt to the homework, so that if you can't do it you know which questions to ask. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. You are paying good money to be there, the professor is there to help you learn. He has office hours for a reason. Its also a good way to get to know the professor and if he knows you he will most likely be more lenient when he grades you because he knows you put in a lot of effort.

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

This short guide will help you graduate college

1) dont skip class
    2) keep up with reading
    3) go out as much as you can during the week if you have no tests/homework that day. this helps you concentrate on the days you really need to concentrate on.
    4) the week before the test study 2 hours/night minimum. to study
    a) you need to read the book, all the assigned reading
    b) do practice problems over and over agani.
    c) also any questions, email the prof/ TA.
    5) relax and breath. As and Bs are great but Cs get degrees. All you need is that paper. Dont stress yourself out because if you do you will die sooner from a heart attack and wont be able to enjoy the supposed wealth that comes with a degree.
    6) Do Not forget to LIVE while you can; You are only 18; 19; 20 ONCE! for 365 DAYS thats not a long time. but you are 24-25-26-27 for a LOOONGGG time. after that you are old and cant be fun and young ever again. So whatever you do do your best to have all the fun you can even if it means giving a speech hungover w/o notes.
    7) speeches without note cards are the only speeches that get As

BTW i had 7 out of 10 roommates drop out of college. i made it through. Iowa Hawkeyes Son!

7. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

you will be surprised what a human can endure when thrown into a situation where failure is not an option. I remember the college days. Sometimes you have to think of it like you are running for your life, and if you stop, you'll die.

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Have you talked to your professors about your anxiety? You know how every syllabus says something about "please talk to me if special arrangements need to be made?" This is one of those times!

Talk to your professors, they will help you out. You will still have to work hard, but they will do what they can to reduce the test anxiety.

9. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

And you may want to look into seeking some professional therapy/guidance to help you cope with your anxiety.

10. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Probably the most comprehensive list of good pointers you're going to get. I'm graduating this upcoming semester and going to class and reading are pretty much going to make or break you. Only other point that I can really add to that is put yourself out there and experience a lot while you are there. Join some clubs, get a job on campus, make friends with people outside your "clique type", and get into the sports because you will meet a lot of people at sporting events. Iowa State Cyclones FTW this year.

11. mrchina

mrchina Guest

I think his feelings of anxiety are only natural when the kid has no idea what the material is on because he's not going to class/doing work.

12. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

you are better off getting a job than joining a club in an employers eyes. employers dont really care about that stuff as much as real jobs (but only relevant jobs)

and damn isu this year.... both fuckin sports! at least we might beat drake on friday.

oh and season tickets for football is FTMFW

i went to Iowa during a period where we had the best records weve ever had in a 4 year span EVER. i had brad banks, chandler and TATE and a buncha 10 win seasons

13. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

Best information in this thread. I instructed 3 courses in college. When students would come talk to me about personal or course issues, I was sure to get them the data they needed, helped with concepts, built a relationship with the student, and that matters when it comes time for grades. Effort goes a long way in anyone's book.

14. Charonchan

Charonchan New Member

Thanks for the helpful advice, everyone. =D
    I think I passed my physics final. I ended up getting there an hour late. By the time I started the exam, I realized that my situation couldn't possibly get any worse. So I managed to get over most of my test anxiety and answer the questions with a level head. The TA even gave me an extra hour.