college uses xbox as linux web server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, May 25, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

old, but a cool read
    http://windowsitpro.com/article/art...s-down-because-someone-removed-the-x-box.html

The website is down because someone removed the X-Box

Public Universities are always running on a limited budget which means they sometimes come up with “innovative” solutions. A couple of years back, an X-Box with some variant of Linux installed had been put in the server room to support a subject designed to teach computer-illiterate Philosophy students how to build their own web pages. This unorthodox platform was chosen because one of the techs was a Linux enthusiast and had convinced “the powers that be” that a cheap web server solution for this subject could be implemented using an X-Box rather than a standard PC or server. Grateful to save money where they could, the project was approved.

Several years later and most of the staff in the department had moved on to bigger and better things. There was a new manager and a brand new set of helpdesk techs. The department’s Unix administrator was one of the few people left who knew what the X-Box was used for. Each year before the second semester class began he powered up the X-Box and updated its software. Few of the other staff ventured into the server room so there was little reason to wonder why an X-Box was sitting on the rack.

Five weeks into the “Web pages for Philosophy students” class the excrement encountered the rotary cooling device. The IT department’s help desk started receiving calls from Philosophy students who were unable to access their web projects.

Flummoxed, the help desk staff escalated the job ticket to the Unix administrator. Unable to remotely access the X-Box, he trotted off to the server room. He was surprised to find that the X-Box was no longer present. He did a quick search of the room but failed to find it. As it did not look as though someone had broken in to the room, there had to be another explanation.

The administrator went down to the new manager’s office to report the missing X-Box. The new manager was quiet for a moment and then sheepishly informed the administrator that it was he who had removed the X-Box. The manager had thought the X-Box was just a games console that the IT departments staff used for recreation when it got quiet. Noticing that the X-Box hadn’t been moved from the server room for some time and that his son was going to be at home on school holidays for the next two weeks, the manager decided to take the X-Box home so that his son would have something to entertain himself with. The manager then drove home and retrieved the X-Box. The administrator got a labeling machine and plastered the words “This is actually a server” all across the console.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Heh. Yeah, it's like that sometimes.

I've got a label on the back of my Smart-UPS 5000 at work that says

!!!WARNING!!!
    ALL OUTLETS ARE 208V

because the dumb shits installed 110V outlets wired up to a 208V power supply.

This isn't the only thing like that, either. When I was digging through the pile of old power cords, I found not one, but several 110V computer power cords with modular 250V plugs attached on the wall end. What the fuck, people? Get the right goddamned equipment for the job.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think the real story is that an XBOX lasted being turned on for that amount of time :rofl:

4. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

lol awesome

5. deusexaethera

Well, this was an original XBox, not an XBox 360. The original ones were rock-solid.

6. awns729

awns729 New Member

cool story, thanks for posting

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

silly, imo.

8. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

:hsugh:
    How so? The original Xbox was more than beefy enough to handle a few philosophy students' webpages. The department wanted to save money, so they did. It appears to have worked fine up until someone physically removed the hardware.

9. deusexaethera

Thanks for contributing.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what college already doesn't give a small amount of webspace and email to it's students? Use that. Otherwise, provision a basic server. Otherwise, dual-purpose with an existing box. Otherwise use a VM. etc.

using an xbox is simply retarded.

11. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

You care too much.

12. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Some people just like to do cool things. Not sure whats wrong with that if it works.

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Who knew the guy was such a softy, eh?

:mamoru:

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

this is not something that I hear often.

15. deusexaethera

Maybe people notice the negativity more.

Seriously, instead of admiring the DIY work that lasted for years, or laughing at the comedy of errors when the XBox got removed from the server room, you pissed on them for not choosing a solution that makes sense to you. Heads-up: reality exists independent of your perception, and what makes sense to you doesn't dictate what will actually work.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it was a fucking joke, you douche canoe.

17. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Your original comment couldn't have been surely.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you mean this:

I hear it all the time irl. actually I hear it on this forum a lot, too.

19. deusexaethera

Sarcasm is seriousness clothed in humor. You might have meant it as a joke, but it was nonetheless accurate.