MIL College sucks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rodthrower18, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Being a student with no credit record SUX. Motherfucking $24k finance charge on a godamn $15k loan , and guess wat !?!?! I NEED the fucking money so im once again FUCKED. My mom found out and got REALLY fuckin upset about it even tho it's going to get paid off since im going to the Marine Corps as an officer(I'll be able to make ~4times the payment ammount since I'll be living on base for the first 6mos of AD), im not into a flashy lifestyle so i'll always be able to pay at least double the $166 theyre asking of me. Yea I know its a lot but seriusly I need the money and there is no getting around that so why get upset about it and make everyone feel worse about a bad situation. Was gonna post in the main forum but since I talked about the Corps in it I dont feel like dealing with the cock jockies tonight I feel like fuckin shit, perfect night to go and work on the fine art of drinkin.

2. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Since I cant edit. Ranger, and C5 PLZ dont move this i'll delete b4 ill post this in there.

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

i cant edit either :wtf:

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Neither of us would ever move a non-debate thread from Teh Barracks, especially if it were posted by one of the barracks crew. ;)

hang in there dude. Just muscle your way through it. College is temporary, but the diploma lives forever.

:hugot:

5. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Yea im ok now but somethin just doesnt seem right about $166/month for 20 fuckin yrs so the official plan is to say fuck it pay as much as I can possibly afford everymonth and get rid of that shit, who knows I might get smart like my uncle and save up so much fuckin leave that I can sell back about a month of it and still have a quickie vacation and use THAT money to pay on it to, I just do not want to be paying on this shit for 20 fucking yrs i mean seriulsy wtf. Now I see y mortgages are 30yrs tho, yea ur payments are lower but you stretch it out over that long a period of time and they still fuck you in the end.

6. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

dude, that's totally normal. i took ~15K in college loans (9K personal loan, 6K gov't loans), and i pay about $150 a month in loan repayments. it's not bad at all, considering that diploma was necessary for my commission. i knew plenty of people who were way more than $15K in the hole coming out of college, and they're doing fine too.

being in debt is not a bad thing. being in over your head or not realizing that debt needs to be repayed is what gets most people.

7. SweetDaddyO

oh and what's this "sell back leave" deal? never heard of that...

don't think i would ever give up leave, but i'm curious anyway

8. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I never heard of selling back leave unless you discharge and then you can only sell back a max of 60days

9. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I dunno how you feel about this, but a 4 year enlistment will get your entire college loan payed off... you always can go officer later, plus your soldiers will respect you more afterwards.

10. Dzl

Dzl New Member

Control your emotions. As an officer you will be expected to stay on top of your finances. It shows your responsibility. Don't fall deeper into debt. I know after you get commissioned, you are offered several loans at virtually no interest rates, so that may help cut down your debts.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

Why not join the USMC Reserves right now?

12. SweetDaddyO

one other piece of advice......don't assume you'll have money for this or that based solely off the pay scale and what you think will happen for the first 6 months, 1 year, etc.

wait until it happens, analyze your spending and your financial situation, THEN create a budget. seems like every 2Lt thinks they're rolling in dough when they get commissioned, and many stretch themselves financially (not just with purchases, but in an effort to maximize savings, investments, or pay down debt). there will be many expenses you won't consider - as a Marine you'll be paying alot in uniforms alone. and if you're living on base, you won't be making BAH, which can be hugely significant.