College Server!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 240 KA-T, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    So I wanted to use a program that needed some ports open so I contacted computing services at my school. Like alot of other college servers, they ban P2P networks and such, but here was his reply:

Our firewall protection is either all or nothing. If you would like some ports open, you will need to use this page to register your computer as a server. This will remove any firewall protection/interference. Be sure you have your computer up to date ( and you have up to date virus protection. We will scan your computer for vulnerabilities before we remove this protection.

Please fill out the form and I will process the request.
    Thank you.

So what I plan on doing is becoming a server, and hopefully this will open all ports. I will get some anti-virus software as well as use a personal firewall. But I had some questions I was hoping you guys could answer...

1) I assume that since this will not put a firewall on me, I can use programs like Kazaa Lite, etc. If I am downloading alot, will they know I am using one of these programs, or just that I download alot?

2) Will this boost or limit my bandwith in any way?

3) My school supplies free anti-virus software: Mcafee. But it comes with this thing that is always running called E-policy. I assumed that it checked to see what you were doing online and all, so I removed Mcafee all together. Should I reinstall it and not mind this E-policy program? (Little blue shield icon). If not, where should I pick up some freeware anti-virus protection?

Any other info that you guys could give me would help alot.

2. Rob

Rob Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 6, 2002
    1) Depends on the school
    2) Depends on the school
    3) I doubt the school is using a program like Mcafee to track all the sites you visit. They have easier ways of doing stuff like that.