College Server Restrictions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funky Munky, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

Alright folks I am just back to college and starting at a new one but its pretty strict on the network, as in I cannot install .EXE files (I need a torrent client and Firefox mainly) and also it is using XP on the server and everytime I log onto a different computer it never saves my personal options (1152x864, IE favourites, classic Start bar). I have a flash drive and I was wondering if I could even just export the settings (wherever they are) and import them when I log onto another computer. I am sick of having to change the settings and keep clicking the same dialog boxes everytime as if I am using a brand new computer.

I know the second request is pretty far out so help installing .EXEs (even on my own personal drive here) would be helpful.

GO~!

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

There are tons of options for firefox and other programs going on a flash drive. Googling should help you find some good options. I know there is a good one where you can have a full firefox profile and install on a flash drive so everything gets saved with it.

3. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

Google it is so.

Thanks dude.

4. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

A lot of the windows settings are stored in a file called ntuser.dat. You could potentially save this to a flash disk, but you might run into a chicken-egg predicament because you need to log out/reboot after you replace the file. But by then, the computer probably has a policy to recreate this file from some default location. Short answer -- probably not likely.

5. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Are your on Active Directory over there? Is it "your" computer, or the school's? It sounds like you're on AD, which would explain not being able to install things and having non-persistent profile settings (you don't have a roaming profile). It sounds a lot like the AD system at the college I work for.

So it sounds like you do not have admin rights on your machine (which likely isn't "yours") and you're managed on AD. The server is not xp, btw, it will be 2000 or 2003 (probably 2k3). There are utilities you can download which can crack the local nt sam file and give you admin rights on the pc, but I suspect you would get in trouble for this. I have handy unix-based nt passwork breaker at work, but don't have a link off the top of my head. Try googling it.