SRS College Parties v. shyish noob

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by macistaniMac, Aug 16, 2006.

1. macistaniMac

macistaniMac New Member

So, I'm going to a college party tonight and would like to meet some people, but I'm very shy around people I don't know. There's a few reasons why I'm shy and socially in-ept, but at this point they're over and done with and I just need to teach myself to be social. Any suggestions on how to approach people at said college party?

2. shiba

shiba Active Member

1. go with a group of people.
    2. Drink moderately
    3. don't stare
    4. get in on a drinking game.

3. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

Get in on a drinking game.

Dont smoke weed.

try to, you know, ENJOY yourself.

Dont think too much.

Dont be shy.

You can also try bringing something to share with everyone...like a hookah or a bottle of alcohol or something. When you are in control of a situation your confidence level will increase.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Best advice I've ever heard about meeting new people is to get them talking about themselves. Most people enjoy talking about themselves and if you develop this skill, it will help you the rest of your life. Don't just fire questions at people, try to get a convo started. Try to find something they are interested in and ask them about it, listen to their responses and try to continue the discussion.

If you are new to the college scene, just be yourself and be honest about your nervousness. It's very likely that some other people you meet there will be feeling the same way and you opening up about your nervousness will help them do the same.

Whatever you do, don't get drunk. It's ok to get a buzz but getting drunk and obnoxious might be funny at the time but will hurt you later on. Oh and pledge a frat, it's a great way to meet people and that constant interaction can help drag you out of your shell.

g/l and just have fun.

5. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

agree to all except the frat part. Frats are good at some schools...but at my school they are terrible. Join a frat if you:

-love following the latest trends
    -love fucking sluts
    -love getting WASSTEEEDDD!!!! cuz its COOOOL

and if you join one to get out of your shell, i think thats where you'll end up. just like them.

6. John Blaze

John Blaze New Member

Good advice, but you can be drunk without being obnoxious. Drunk and fun=teh win

7. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

What has been stated earlier is sound advice.

What I would like to add is find a core group of buddies at school that you can be close with and help you find parties or things to do. You'll feel a lot more comfortable if you hang out with some close buddies at a party imo.

I recently started mixing drinks for my friends. Remember some common and simple recipes for cocktails and mix em for people and they'll love you.

Hope this helps and good luck :hs:

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yeah that's kinda what I ment...however IMO buzzed > drunk especially when trying to make new friends. Ones judgement is impared when drinking and more so when drunk. One might be offensive and not realize it when drunk. When buzzed this is much less likely to occur.