SRS College opportunity.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by zmiller91, Mar 3, 2009.

1. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

I just found out I got into the college I wanted to go to for the past 5 years (Colorado University at Boulder). For the past three years I had my heart set on getting instate tuition, for we have a house there, my mother has a license and voters registration there and we have been paying Colorado state taxes for the last three years.

Needless to say, I did not get instate. Because of this I will have to pay 40k a year instead of 20k (which I wouldn't have to pay for my parents pay for 80k worth of college). This whole deal came as a surprise to me and my parents.

My dad offered me a job working at his company, I will work all summer, every summer, and get $10,000, meaning, I will only have to pay $10k a year, which my parents will spot me as an interest free loan. This sounds like an awesome deal, and I would be all for it. However, this throws away my whole summer and all the plans that went along with it. I will be working 9-5 Monday through Friday, and I will see no money, and get to spend no money. I will get 50 dollars a week, so that boils down to 7 dollars a day.

I am not able to apply for financial aid or scholarships, for those are all need based, and my family is well over the requirements. Also, I cannot get a work-study job, for those too are need based.

In short, I got accepted into the college of my dreams, but will have to work every summer 5 days a week, as well as add on top of that. If I choose to decline, I will attend Iowa University, and enjoy my summer and come out of college debt free.

So, my question to you all is: What would you do? Am I acting spoiled and immature? Is it time for me to grow up? Or should I come out of college debt free? After all, $40k is a shit ton of money.

2. never_enough

never_enough New Member

some schools will charge you instate tuition after residing in said state for a year. you should see what their policy is on that.

3. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

Checked that out, it wont happen, once the committee decides, they decide. The only way for me to get instate is to declare independence, leave school for a year, work and live there, and then go back. In the end, it will just cost more money.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There's always student loans, man. Go to the college that will get you where you want to go in life, and worry about paying the bills later. Just make sure you get a degree you can actually make money with.

5. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

I'll be getting a business degree. Also, I will not qualify for student loans, because of my parents income. I am pretty sure I will go to Colorado. After all, I have to grow up sometime.

6. deusexaethera

Good enough. I wouldn't worry too much about it then. Sucks that they made that decision, but I guess there's nothing (practical) you can do about it.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

This is not necessarily a bad solution. So you sit out for a year and work and save then after that year, go to the school of your dreams? So wait....why aren't you going to do this?

One year is nothing. The hard thing is, once you're out of school, it's difficult to go back but it's no where near impossible...especially if it's your dream school.

Sometimes we have to be willing to take a different path to pursue our dreams. Others may not agree with our choices and they may exert a lot of pressure on us to conform to the "norm"...whatever that is. Don't be persuaded.....follow your dreams. After all, it's your life you're living....not theirs and you are free to live it however you want.

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Sounds like your parents are giving you an excellent deal. Working the summers will give you good experience, which will better prepare you for life after university, and help make you stand out from your peers. 10K for the summer is nothing to sneeze at either.

As for $50/week spending money, welcome to the real world. You'll only have about that much left over after bills when you start your first job.

9. it really depends on what u want to go to school for and which school has a better program. but believe me, as someone who got a degree from a school that isnt as nice as i would have liked, most employers just want to see that you finished school, not necessarily where u went.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

really depends on what you're doing, and also the quality of education at the respective institutions

11. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

i went to an in-state school and had my loan paid off in a year or so after. a lot of people worked at my company who got the same job as me, but had $50k in loans because they went to out of state "big name" schools. we all had a BA/BS and that was all the company looked at. so it depends on if Colorado U is really worth it versus Iowa. that depends on what degree you are going for, and will it pay off better than the Iowa degree will after college?

12. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

Having 80K dollars of debt or no debt at all for schools that are pretty much par with each other. Pretty much a no brainer IMO.

If you were talking Iowa vs. Harvard, Stanford..... it would be a tougher decision.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I read it as he wouldn't have any debt :dunno:

14. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

scratch that, 40K owed to parents

15. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

I wont have "debt" exactly. I will owe my parents about 32k. The only difference is that it will be interest free, so it is 32k not 50k. Also, I would be able to work out my own plan, and they will be more understanding.

16. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

I think I have come to a decision. I will more than likely be attending Iowa based on this logic.

1. I wont be able to enjoy Colorado because I will have to work every weekend, meaning no skiing, no parties, not football games, no traveling.
    2. I am paying an extra $100k for a mountain setting and a lesser education.
    3. I wont be able to go study abroad because I will have to work and will not be able to afford it.
    4. My social life will be limited.
    5. If I go to Iowa I can choose if i want to work and how much.
    6. I will have no debt, which effects every decision in my life.
    7. I can travel wherever I want, with minimal monetary affect.
    8. If I go to Iowa and want to go skiing I can pack my shit up friday after class and take a few buddies to split the drive up there. Ski saturday and sunday and come back sunday night. Classes wont be affected for they will start after 12.
    9. And most importantly, my parents will build me a garage off my brothers house (he goes there) to store and work on my car. Which, my car is a huge passion.

Thank you everyone for the help. I can always come to OT to get some sense smacked into me.

17. deusexaethera

Good deal. :bigthumb:

18. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've got to admit, when you put all that together, Iowa sounds like a much better deal to me. If those things such as travel, car and flexibility are important to you, go for it.

However, I'm confused by #2. An extra 100k? One of the possibilities is that you move to CO and work for a year to get instate tuition so perhaps it wouldn't be as much as 100k?

Still it sounds like Iowa is a more conservative, realistic choice.....but sometimes that's the worst choice in the long run. Only you can know that.

19. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

Yeah, I could move out there and get a job. But i think it would be much harder to go back once you are out. Still, I would walk out paying money instead of getting money.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

you sound a little spoiled. I suspect the real world is going to hit you like a ton of bricks when you exit university. Perhaps a year spent working might teach you a few things?

22. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

Well, since I spent my past three years working, bought my own car, bought all my clothes, food while I'm out, and everything else in between, I don't think the work world will hit me to hard. As well, the money they give me goes to college and nothing else, so, when I exit college I can go to grad-school and not be in as much debt.

I wouldn't call my self spoiled but I wouldn't call myself independent. It's a bit unfair for you to judge me off one article of information.

23. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Unfair, yes, however it got me the information I was curious about ;)

If you've spent three years working, what makes you think spending a year working full time would suddenly make it more difficult to go to university?

If the in-state tuition would be the same for both schools, then all it will really cost you to go to the university of your dreams is one year spent working in the state. To me, that sounds better than the other option you had posted.

In which case, it boils down to this:

Is it worth delaying your education by one year to go to the university of your dreams?

24. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Depends on how big of a difference it is between the two schools. For my college decision I picked the much harder school, but after 4 years it appears to be paying off. All I do is say where I am graduating from and people ask me to email them my resume.

25. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

From the people I have asked, it seems that once they are out it is hard to go back. My dad did this and said its the whole "I'm finally free" thing. The difference between instate and out of state will be about 5k on Colorado's behalf.