SRS college...future...yikes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by korverftw, Jun 13, 2008.

1. korverftw

korverftw New Member

20 years old, living at home, finished with 2nd year of college, done with all of my general eds and i'm under enormous pressure to choose a major. I'm listed as E.E. right now, but it isn't going to happen. It's too boring and I don't like it enough to put in the effort for that much time. The problem is I don't really do anything special and don't really enjoy much, so I have no leads in what to do with my life. All I do is watch sports and a few sitcoms, surf the internet, work and play music. And I don't even feel that I'm especially good at playing my instruments...

I play guitar pretty much all the time, own several of them, and love music, but majoring in music? If I wanted a career in music, would I truly need to stay in college?

I feel like i'm pretty much wasting my time... I only have a couple of thousand dollars saved, but I'm sick of this town and everything and I want to move across the country and wing it... but I know that won't happen.

Sorry, just felt like venting a bit.

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

The first two years of college suck because general classes are boring usually and forced upon us and then there's the added stress of "well, what do I want to do?" Myself and many many others felt the need to quit after 2 years just because you are tired of in and uninterested. However, I finally chose a major I loved so much I enjoyed going to the classes. I had other friends who switched majors more than twice just to really find something they liked.

If you wanted to major in music you should've started my taking electives in music a long time ago. If music is just a passion anyway I'd say to choose a stable major that can get you many jobs while also just enjoying your music after school.

Did you not take any electives during the first 2 years??? I took a psychology and a communications or sociology class here and there and that's what helped me decide.

3. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

"living at hom"...I hate that phrase. I live at home, and its an apartment, and I'm the only person who lives there. You probably just need to get some campus housing.

As for the career path, pick something you can life with, and do it now. I don't make much money, but I love my job. Student loans suck.

4. Mustafa

Mustafa New Member

I have a professor who talks about music a lot. Loves it. Doesn't shut up about it. Invites us to all of his "gigs" and concerts. Once tried to teach a class with his guitar. Crazy bastard.

However, he has a Masters in Accountancy, CPA cert, teaches for two semesters a year, and use to be a senior auditor for a big four firm.

First day of class he told all of us that he felt indifferent towards accounting, something he had been studying/teaching for 20 years. Said that musicians don't make money, and that studying/doing something that isn't your "passion" can still enable you to, in your off time, develop the things in life that you love.

Interesting perspective, considering the "Follow your dreams" mantra that so many parents/teachers/friends chant, or the opposing "Lets make some money" hymn.

Point is, you can do what you love and still pay the bills with something that you don't. Sometimes the world isn't perfect, and sometimes your passion in life doesn't lead to financial security.

5. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

If you were thinking about E.E. but you like music, why don't you major in recording or management? My brother is a music recording major and he LOVES it. :coold: One of his classes is concert tour management, and instead of going to class, he goes to this club 3x a week to run the stage and set up. Only problem with majoring in music (not recording or management, but an instrument) is that you have to decide pretty early on what you're going to do with it. Teaching and performance are about the limits there.

6. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

I'm a music major and let me tell you it can be tough. Also, it's very unstable. You might have a lot of gigs one part of the year and then nothing for a month. Right now I'm music performance, but lately I've been looking into double majoring for music therapy. That is another music field that you may or may not be interested in?

7. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

my brother majored in music.

He couldn't make any cash playing instruments... so he got into the business side of it. Paid his dues at $10/hr in Los Angeles and now is a manager at Sony BMG in NYC getting his MBA.

8. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Go see a Career Counselor... I did, and it helped me find a path.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:werd:

Trust me when I say this-if you drop out with 0 plans of exactly what you will do for a living in your future you'll regret it the rest of your life.

I know many people who dropped out sadly after 2 years and they are nowhere. Having a Bachelor's can seriously help you out in life (career-wise).

10. korverftw

korverftw New Member

Thanks guys. I've got some soul searching to do -- maybe I'll check out a career counselor.