College food, ugh

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by qwop, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Here's a problem I thought I wouldn't face...

Due to problems with my college accommodation, I'm having to move into a room where I can't cook - the most we get given is a kettle - no stove, no microwave.

Granted, there's a dining hall - not seen it yet but if it's like the rest of college, it'll be rubbish burgers, chicken nuggets etc.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas of food I could keep in my room (no kitchen cupboards even!).

I don't want to fall into the trap of junking up on crisps and cakes and sweets... Generally I eat a lot of chicken (Foreman, ftw - but that's banned in the room!), broccoli, baked sweet potato, noodles (original stuff...not the instant supernoodle rubbish), pasta, eggs - omlettes, poached, boiled, porridge and seafood. But obviously I either can't cook or keep most of those in my room.

Any ideas? I know it's an impossible question... So far, all I can think of is fruit and crackers - but that hardly boosts my protein/meat intake...

Cheers in advance anyway. :)

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

wtf is are crisps?

Do you have access to any cooking facilities such as a microwave?

Also, with a "kettle" you can heat water and make shit like tune-mac. Get creative man.

3. TZ

TZ Banned

potato chips im guessing.

buy some beef jerky, eat tuna a lot, protein shakes, etc.

4. knucks

knucks Active Member

lol @ kettle. that shit starts a lot of fires.

5. qwop

No microwave either - sucks, mate.

Although how the fuck could I forget tuna? Good call. Apart from instant rice (pour hot water into the packet) and instant soup, the kettle is little use, really...

And yeah, crisps - potato chips, pringles etc. Forgot that you don't call them that.

6. TZ

TZ Banned

canned anything is ur friend

7. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

they now have salmon and tuna in shelf stable pouches, canned precooked chicken is good for salads and sandwiches.... buy only what fresh salad veggies you need for 2 or 3 days, they keep with out refrigeration if the room is cool enough. canned soups (there are a lot of good ones out now that won't kill you and if you read labels you can find ones what will meat your protien/caloric needs.
    Canned beans/veggies + vinager + spices = great and easy salads that are high protein as long as you rise the beans when they come out the can

Dried fruits and nuts.

Instant Oatmeal + water + kettle = win

granolas, fiber cereals

8. qwop

PE - thanks a heap, dude. :)

9. Phantom Empress

no prob. also, ask around on campus and see if you can find access to a microwave or a stove,..... maybe even in the dining hall see what you can use. they may let you use a microwave in the main kitchen.

10. Professional

Professional Guest

ette

11. Professional

Professional Guest

just put a microwave in your closet and run an extension cable to the nearest outlet you girl

12. Phantom Empress

oh and Peanut butter is great in a pinch. Can you keep a cooler? or a mini fridge? that will change what you can keep. If you can get a cooler and replenish the ice in it everyday, you can have deli meats and cheeses(turkey breat is GREAT for you unless you have to watch your sodium a lot).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.