Colleague's web host uses a buggy web uploader

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Background:
    I work for a large company A. We contract with a small company B to do some expert analysis of our product's data sets. I am starting to do some of this work in-house with the cooperation of company B because our needs are outpacing their capacity to fulfill them. Since company B is not in this city, they have asked their web host to set up a web-based file manager so I can upload my work to them. The web host seems a little bush league -- they appear to be a local outfit and the uploader they have set up is a buggy piece of shit.

My problem is sort of two-fold. First, the technical side. Although I haven't worked in IT since my internship at an ISP during college, I am a little shocked that a professional web host would be using a buggy file uploader. Are there not tons of FOSS solutions out there that do access control, batch upload, etc. and can be used commercially?

The other side of the problem is how to approach this guy at company B. I want to tell him that this is an easy problem to solve, and there is no excuse for his web host to screw it up. However I am hesitant to offer this unsolicited advice, especially if it might be mistaken as a criticism of how he runs his company (by using a crappy web host).

Should I hold my tongue, report the bugs, and let him sort things out with the web host? Or should I try to share some of my comments (as someone with a technical background) so as to help protect him from being taken advantage of by a lazy web host? (Assuming they are lazy and not totally incompetent)

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Tell the guy you see Problems X, Y, and Z, and based on past experience, the best solutions are 1, 2, and 3. Then let him decide whether to implement them.

BTW: If you want to talk about incompetence, my company's "IT" department can't even mount our backup file server (which I configured for them) on the rack they have. Apparently the Dell VersaRails don't work on their rack, which isn't their fault, but they're asking ME what kind of rails they need to get. Fuck if I know, I've never seen their rack! Go call Dell, tell them the make and model of the rack, and ask which rails will fit! :rant2:

3. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I think I'm going to stay out of it. He just replied to my email in which I mentioned some of the bugs I was experiencing and he said "I think this is their first FTP site" so apparently he is aware of their noobishness.

When I was in college it seemed like there was a serious glut of people getting into the IT field. I assumed with so much competition in the market that this kind of thing wouldn't be an issue these days, I guess I was wrong though. :hs:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

IT has a ridiculous burnout/turnover rate. Most people who have the mindset to do IT work don't know how to hand management's asses back to them when they go nuts over stupid shit, like thinking the firewall is malfunctioning because the server room is warm.