Coldfusion vs. PHP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DragonLook, Feb 8, 2005.

1. DragonLook

DragonLook Too weird to live, too rare to die **Toronto Crew*

So I took over a web site that was being designed for the physics department at my university and it was mostily written in PHP. It hadn't been published since the previous designer graduated before finishing it. Since I've taken over, it's come to my attention that the servers are my school do not run PHP. They have a web server that supports coldfusion and another server that supports CGI and PERL scripts.

So the question is, what is coldfusion like compared to PHP and how difficult will it be for me to learn CF and is it better that PHP?

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

That actually depends on a lot of factors. CF can give you the full Java platform and API which will give you much, much more in the way of what you can do. Anyone who tells you otherwise simply doesn't know any better.

If everything is written in PHP, it may be better simply to stick with that and see if you can't get the department head to get IT to install it. It's not hard and on most servers, really only takes a short time to get up.

I would rank learning CF in the same line as C or Java with respect to how hard it is.

I hope that helps some..heh

3. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I've never used ColdFusion at all, so I can't speak to its merits, but if you already know PHP and everything is already written in PHP, just stick with that. Then again, if the IT department gives you a hard time about installing PHP, you may be SOL...

Which, of course, begs the question... If PHP isn't installed on the server, why are all the pages written in PHP anyway?? :wtf:

4. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

i would agree with trying to get php installed

as far as learning CF, its a bit hard..
    how is the php being used, just for templates etc or is it much more dynamic then that?

5. Javi

Javi Active Member

Coldfusion is a tag-based language.
    I actually find Coldfusion to be a rather easy language to program for. It is well documented, and any errors you come across, the description for it happens to be concise.