ColdFusion vs PHP vs ASP vs Perl

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JWolfe, Aug 26, 2003.

1. JWolfe

JWolfe Guest

So, I've been doing website development for the past year using ColdFusion. Just for giggles, I've looked into other CGI languages and they all seem incredibly tedious and unnecessarily low-level when compared to ColdFusion. I concede that CF doesn't have the inherent flexibility that some of the competition has, but you can write modules in Java and C to extend the functionality of the language, which is how I implemented a document parser for a newspaper's backend.
    For instance, one of the websites my company hosts was written by a firm that uses ASP. Well, their upload function was broken, so I rewrote it in CF, which took, literally, less than 10 lines of code. The original ASP version was over a page in length. What gives?

Any thoughts on this?

2. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

I really don't like ColdFusion's tag-syntax for programming.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

File uploading. He he he... that was my theme today with Java. You think 10 lines is long? Wow, you should see Java. Its do-it-yourself all the way... ASP's approach isn't all that great (although if its "not all that great" then Java is terrible). I've done file uploading with ASP before, but oddly enough I forgot what all was involved. Either way, I do remember it was a PITA. Depending on what the ASP code is doing, it may be possible to get it down to 10 lines (I'm thinking 10 lines of JScript - not VBScript).

Check out how PHP does it. Its crazy how easy it is (I'd say maybe 5 lines or less). Perl is like Java - you have to do-it-yourself when it comes to handling the upload.

ColdFusion is the one web technology I've successfully stayed away from.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I always used Perl for web scripting until this year. I'll never go back, PHP makes everything so much easier.

5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

File uploading does suck using Java. Now, in Struts I remember there being a tag lib you could use which makes it simple. But that comes with the overhead of Struts. It's been awhile since I've touched any of that, but it's easier that way.

6. Annex

Annex Guest

ColdFusion is an area I have not touched

same goes for PHP

Those are products that run on a Microsoft platform. The counterparts that run on Linux or Unix have been too much of a resource hog to even bother using. Most people who want web hosting want PHP instead

ASP however is nice and such..

It does alot of what PHP does. I like a Unix/Linux environment better mainly because it's an older system and been tested more then Windows. Windows was not originally designed to be a server. course you can find a million computer techies who might disagree with that.. but this is my take :cool:

7. Penguin Man

:confused: PHP runs on *nix servers....

8. Annex

Annex Guest

yeah

it's open source

it can run on windows but it was meant for linux/unix just like ASP was meant to run on windows

9. Penguin Man

:dunno: You seemed to be implying that it didn't. I haven't tried ASP or ColdFusion either.

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

:wtf:

sure u talkin about PHP?