Cold Weather Car :UGH:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by OniMinion, Jan 25, 2010.

1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I was thinking of getting a Subaru WRX...

I drive mid-2000 VW's currently. The manual gear boxes act all sorts of shitty until up to temp. Is the Subaru more reliable this way in the cold? Are there any other recommended cars for cold weather driving (manual only please :squint:).

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't think any stickshift works well in the cold, unless it's loose enough to feel sloppy in the summer. Are you using synthetic gear oil? That's supposed to help some.

Also, since you have a VW, look into getting an aftermarket shifter bushing. The OEM one is a piece of crap.

3. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Yeah, I switched to a Mobile Synthetic Gear Oil back at 75,000 miles. The shifter is actually in excellent working condition (not lose at all except for a little extra movement at the top of 1st gear (has 120,000 miles now).

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I would suggest trying different gear oil first. I think that is more likely to make a difference than trying to change cars, not to mention being much cheaper and easier. At 45k you're overdue for a gear oil change anyway, imo.

Mobil 1 is ok, but people seem to report better results with premium synthetics like Redline.

5. deusexaethera

I use AMSoil in all my cars now. Great stuff. My Passat's cam chain tensioner used to start chattering after 3000 miles of running Mobil 1 oil, but when I switched to AMSoil it never made noise again.

I'm surprised that a VW would give you shit in the winter; they are definitely better cold-weather cars than hot-weather cars. What exactly is the gearbox doing when it's cold?

6. FrozenSTi

FrozenSTi This site WILL get me in trouble......

I've been driving an 06 STi in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories every winter. I have a block heater and an electic battery blanket. Car starts every time, even at -50c (as long as the block heater is plugged in). The gear box can be stiff at those temps when you start off, but it doesn't take long for it to warm up. Best winter car I've ever had.

7. deusexaethera

Why in God's name (or anyone else's) would you live that far north?