cold cathode problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JDub, Aug 9, 2003.

1. JDub

JDub New Member

I duno where else to post this and I need help so...

Ok, long story short, here's the interior of my truck.
    http://community.webshots.com/scrip...mID=53858806&photoID=83635066&security=mVcMiV
    I originally lit the gauges with LEDs as well, but it came out blotchy. So I put in the cold cathodes from two of these http://www.svc.com/angelmod-blu.html
    [​IMG]
    to light the temp, tach, speedo, and gas gauges. The temp and speedo work fine, but the tach sorta freezes when the lights are turned on, and the gas gauge is off by a 1/4 tank :down: I thought the inverters for the CCs were messing with the tach electrically, but I ran the CCs off my drill's 12v battery and it still messed up, which leads me to think that it's probably some magnetic field from the CCs that is messing with the needles. Do you guys know of anyway I can fix this? Or maybe an alternative lighting solution? It needs to be compact and bright. And preferably white or blue :x: Thanks for any help!

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm a comp sci guy and not an EE, but is it possible the inverter, even though you supplied it from an independant source, has its own field and could be botching things up?

I'm thinking you need to move the lights further away or insulate it some how (or find a different light source - although that's a pretty source for light).

3. JDub

JDub New Member

Yeah, that's the thing I thought of first, the inverters. I tried moving them away, but had the same problem. It's weird how the speedo isn't affected because it uses the same mechanism as the tach. I have the lights about as far away as I can get them. I was thinking that I might be able to wrap the tach's mechanism in some kind of insulating foil, but I don't know if such a thing exists.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Insulating foil could be as simple as taking aluminum foil (double it up at least once, maybe a few more times to make it thicker) and putting electrical tape on the inside and outside of it (it requires a good chunk of electrical tape).

Back in the day when I had a 386, something was being pretty noisey and was interferring with my SoundBlaster card. So I did the above trick. It kind of helped.

Don't know if that will help any... If you can, post some pics of what all this looks like. I'm curious to see this...

5. JDub

JDub New Member

aluminum foil will do the trick? I don't need somehting more magnetic? What do you mean by a "good chunk" of tape? Well, when I try it out, I'll try to remember to take some pics. thanks for the help

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I used the electrical tape to insulate the aluminum foil from shorting anything out and it also strengthened the foil as well.