Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Scuba, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Scuba

Scuba New Member

I was wondering what Cold Air Intakes are good? It will be for a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 V8. Also about how much horsepower and more MPG would I expect?

2. Scuba

Scuba New Member

bump

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

They really aren't that much better than stock. But if you wanna drop $200+ get either an Airaid or K&N. The Airaid has like a chrome surface while the K&N is plastic. Both use K&N filters.

As for hp you could expect 5-10 hp. To let you know, you can only feel hp increases when its 20+. Gas mileage? I have no clue if it would be better, I kind of doubt it.

4. Scuba

Scuba New Member

well what will give me some better gas mileage?

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

praoby less since its getting mroe air its goign to try to richen up the injectors therefore useingmore fuel unless your running rich now then it might lean it out an make it more efecint either way your only going to see a .00023210213213812% differnce if you want power its going to take more than a CAI

speed costs how fast do you want to spend

6. Scuba

Scuba New Member

i want to spend about 200 or 300 either for better gas mileage or more speed

7. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

when i got my intake, my chip and my exhaust i saw maybe a 2mpg increase on the highway, i dont notice any increase or decrease around town, but the engine felt peppier, but its not going to be a drastic change

it was on my 98 2.2 s10

8. Scuba

Scuba New Member

well what will give me a noticable boost in mpg or horsepower

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

chances are you wont get more hp and mpg since it takes fuel to make power you cant do much for 200-300 nothing that will be noticable

go buy some booze and sit around and bs with you buddies save the other $275

10. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

The only things that will make a big difference in hp are turbo, blower or NOS. But NOS is not constant hp(of course). The other 2 would cost a minimum of $2K, but can add between 20-50% increase in hp.

If you want to add a bunch of bolt-on's to add a wee bit of hp its best to do the air intake, cat-back exhaust and performance chip. But you may at most see an increase of 10-20 hp. And all that stuff will cost about $1000. If you want to do that stuff do it for the looks or sound(exhaust), not for performance.

11. Scott02Z71

Scott02Z71 Guest

Well, I put alot of stuff on my 98 Chevy Silverado to try and do the same thing. I put a K&N FIPK intake on it, an airaid TB Spacer, Hypertech Programmed it, Dual straight pipes, Headers, and a new MAF Sensor. My MPG went from 16.0 in town to 16.2 and the Highway went from about 19 to 20. Not a lot of difference considering the $$$ that i put in:slap: As for performance, noticed a little, but not a great deal. Was more torquey though pulling the car.

The truck did sound damn good though in my opinion and the engine bay looked great!!!:big grin:

If you want performance, get a supercharger
    If you want gas mileage, get a 4 cylinder :rolleyes:

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:werd:

13. Scuba

Scuba New Member

ok thx for the help u guys