Cold Air Intake ..Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Axespeed, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

So if u read my other post i had trouble on deciding what car to get..

Anyway, if i decide to get a Celica, my friend told me not to install a Cold Air Intake because i live in Miami, and theres a lotta puddles.
    He said that because the intake is at the bottom its gonna get fucked by the puddles ..

What you think? is he tellin the truth? lyin? or just a fuckin idiot who has no clue wat he's saying?

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Could happen. Just an FYI, though, a CAI isn't going to do much more than a short-ram. The air under the hood circulates to cool when you are driving, and very quickly. I've run tests with a temp probe, and there was about a 3-8 degree difference between under the hood and in the fender. The under hood did creep up at stoplights, but even accelerating up to just 25 MPH, it only took a matter of seconds for it to cool back off.

3. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

you wont have a problem unless you have the filter pretty much submerged ( unless you get a shitty ebay intake with a piece of shit non lubed filter )

4. red97gst

red97gst New Member

highly unlikely, but i know of someone whos motor hydrolocked from sucking in water. definately requires a MASSIVE amt of water to surround the filter.

if youre really paranoid, and STILL want the extra 3HP from the CAI, u can get the big money AEM CAI with that stopper in the middle of the pipe that supposedly prevents water from getting sucked into the motor.

or you could spend the $100 you save by using a regular short-ram intake and buy some underdrive pulleys to free up legitimate HP

5. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

if you're paranoid you can just get any CAI and a bypass valve

I lived in seattle for 20 years and for the last few years drove around with a CAI that sat like 7 inches off the ground.. I never hydrolocked my car

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The real problem isn't sucking water into the engine, the real problem is that the filter will get dirty and the screen that holds it in place will rust. If you install a CAI, make sure the underside of the car is sealed off so water can't splash in. Even better, see if anybody makes a CAI that sits in the same place as the regular air filter and has a tube connected to the grill to bring in cool air.

EDIT: Before I get sniped, yes you CAN hydrolock your engine if you get enough water in it, but you WILL rust out your filter if it's too close to the ground and gets splashed. ESPECIALLY if you visit friends up north in the winter and you get road salt on the filter. You can kiss it goodbye then.

7. Blanket

Blanket New Member

The best filter I have found out on the market is the Blitz SUS. Stainless steel, no paper or gauze shit to disinegrate. Yeah, it is spendy, but a good investment.

8. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

a stainless steel air filter?

for some reason, that sounds really useless