GUN Coincidences? V. How purchasing an AR flat top got me into Bushido Tactical courses.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

So I have to thank you Hoss for pointing me in the direction of that AR upper, because the seller turned out to be Wade Rorich from Bushido Tactical (his Arfcom handle is SSA, and a "Team Member" whatever that means) Anyways I got the upper so I could properly mount my Comp M3 with a rear BUIS to get it ready for some courses that I was looking into.

Well, BAM Wade hits me up in his last email with a "by the way...did you know that I will be teaching a few courses in the Sarasota area...are you interested?"

I was just like...:eek4:...after reading the email. SO it looks like I will be heading to a Defensive Rifle / Carbine Readiness Course in December (13th - 14th) and then a Defensive Handgun Readiness Course in January ( 24th - 25th) So SEE, who says that just buying "useless" gadgets for your rifle is a waste of time. I purchased a flattop, AND got into some good courses at the same time. lol.

I like the upper too:
    [​IMG]

So if there are any Tampa Bay area or SRQ folk who want to join in on the fun, let ye be known that those are the dates of said courses.

CLIFFS: I unknowingly purchased an upper from an instructor from Bushido Tactical, who then invited me to come take courses in my area, which I meant to do anyways. Crazy coinkidink me think.

:wiggle:

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:wavey:

have fun dude. take lots of notes and pics if you can :cool:

also, pics of the built rifle :coold:

3. Ghostrider4450

Will do. I did a simple fitment check and it fits pretty snug. I imagine that with the charging handle, bolt and bolt carrier installed, it will tighten up that last little bit. But other than that, Wade was awesome to deal with, and for $105 shipped I got a pretty damn good deal on a flattop upper.

Oh and I will have a D70 by the time December rolls around, so I will take plenty o' pics. Im really excited to go take some courses. It makes having an AR15 make a whole lot more valuable, should a SHTF situation arise...Katrina...*Cough*...LA Riots *Cough*...and having all the widgets and gadgets in the world wont make a damn bit of difference unless you know how to use them properly with the rifle.

Im def stoked. :bigthumb:

4. Ghostrider4450

I asked him if it was going to be at Knights Trail in Venice, since that's the only place I can think of that they would be able to hold those kinds of courses. (The Sheriffs Dept. has an extensive training facility there, which they [Bushido Tactics] may have acquired special permission to use their range for the courses.)

But I have yet to hear back from him about it. Ill update this thread with more info as I get it.

:bigok:

5. Ghostrider4450

Okay I have updates on the courses and pictures of my "Finished" gun.

Wade got back to, and informed me that the classes will be taking place at the Manatee Gun Club, where I have been before. (I had to pay a $25 dollar range fee when I first visited, since I wasn't a member :ugh: So yeah...uh I never went back since its not worth the extra $$ to drive 2x as far compared to Knights Trail)

Anyways, its a fairly nice range that has a western silhouette saloon style range, a kill box deal and a bunch of other bookable areas that have berms and such around them. So it should be a really good time.

Pics of my messing around and trying to get an idea of what its going to look like and work with the flattop versus the fixed:

Before (sorry, shitty light, shitty photos)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"After"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^This was kind of neat shot, because the rear iron sight sort of looks like a BUIS behind the AimPoint.
    [​IMG]

Do you think I should purchase a cantilever mount yet? Or will the low weaver mount be fine for now? (that is after I actually get the upper put together.) I feel like the optic is about 3-4mm too low right now. It WORKS, but its not ideal. Dont you want the lower 1/3rd of the optic to be co-witnessing the front and rear irons?

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Just so you know, Wade is THE instructor for Bushido. Not AN instructor. And he teaches outdated, antiquated methods and mindset. Like not using a sling. And blading the target. His shit is from the 80's. Go give it a try. But if you've never taken any other classes before, don't drink the Kool Aid yet. There are a lot of FL folks who are obsessed with his classes, but the dude is teaching shit that is potentially dangerous. He and I have had a very long discussion on the GA hometown forum of ARFCOM.

If you want a FL-based instructor, Chris Costa of Magpul Dynamics is one of the best instructors I've met. S. Dave Harrington is also out of Florida, but I'm not sure if he's teaching or working right now.

7. footratfunkface

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you need a spacer for that aimpoint STAT.

9. Ghostrider4450

I got you, yeah he made that clear in an email last night. I am a very open minded person, so I never believe that one method, is the only way. I appreciate the heads up though. I think it will be good to get a baseline level of knowledge, then take it a step further. It just helps that he is going to be in town at a time when my schedule will allow me to even go take said courses.

I will also look up Chris Costa as well.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that he teaches, that is potentially dangerous? Is it his methods or his teachings of a certain mindset?

Also, I'm not one to attach myself to one "way" unless iv tasted the grass on the other side of the stream.

10. Ghostrider4450

Yeah, no shit. Its like I went from wayyyy up high, to midget cut off at his knees lowwww.:rofl:

11. Ghostrider4450

So why not take what I can from his course, while keeping in mind that I prefer to use a sling? I mean I don't have to take everything he says as the golden truth.

12. Ghostrider4450

:hs: Well im glad you mentioned it. I mean, are you being 100% objective when you say that his course is basically bullshit? I don't want to spend or waste ammo on a course that is getting bad reviews.

How old is your information? Is it possible that he has updated his methodology?

13. Ghostrider4450

To be honest, I am going to go take his defensive carbine course. I'll take what I can from it, and will provide plenty of pictures and a fair and objective review (more of a report) of what I experienced. I will take everything you guys have said and keep it in the back of my mind, so if I do see some of the things you are talking about, I can file them away as "not the BEST method, but it is A method."

If what I find is vastly different from what everyone is saying, I would still take it all in with a grain of salt and take an objective view on the course as a whole.

I'm just excited to get SOME training and schooling on the basics of defensive carbine methods, since to this day I have had none.

14. footratfunkface

I AM saying that there are certain things that ARE wrong. Blading your target is wrong. It is wrong for several reasons. No sling is WRONG. For several reasons. Those are two things that he teaches that are dangerously wrong.

If you're definitely going to take the class, I'll let you take it without my interference. After you take it, take a class from someone who teaches a modern fighting rifle class, not an 80's "tactical" class. As for mindset- he will not teach us lowly civilians the same things as law enforcement and military. I hate that crap.

Read the thread I linked. It has all my arguments in it.

On top of that, read this thread about combatives with a sling: Linky

And these AAR's of Chris Costa classes. I was at the Team Tactics class, and it was my rifle that blew up. Linky

15. footratfunkface

That's the problem. Having had none prior to this, you will have no way of knowing which of his teachings are bullshit and dangerous and which are okay.

16. Ghostrider4450

I am a pretty perceptive person, and while I will not pretend to know much of anything about defensive rifle tactics and methodologies, I can read between the lines and think for myself. If you, or anyone else can give me an idea of the some of the major no-nos that he teaches, then I can choose to disregard that part and leave it as an open ended thought, which can then be filled through taking better classes when I get the time.

Does that way of thinking make any sense to you, since you have a lot more knowledge in this subject matter? Or am I just creating an experiment in futility?

:hsd:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  17. footratfunkface

No. Go take the class. Get the feel of what it is to be at a class, and to fire that many rounds. You may get the idea of what it is to shoot under stress. Don't wait too long to take a quality rifle class after that, though, to show you what wrongs you learned. And again, shooting without a sling, and blading the target are two things that can be deadly to whoever practices that.

If your only ammo allotment for the year allows you to take only one class, I wouldn't waste the ammo on a Bushido class, though.

18. Ghostrider4450

My father has been really interested in taking some courses like this with me (which im super stoked about), so he would be willing to help me out with at least an extra half case of ammo, thereby giving me plenty more than just this years allotment.

Thank you for all the balanced feedback on this, Im glad I got this info before going. Lest I be like every other newbie who takes his first course, thinking that what he just learned is the best and only way to do things. So again, thanks for being straight with me. It helps a lot.

:bigok:

19. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

OT, but why D70? Such a noise magnet. I'd take a D50 before a D70.

20. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is blading?

21. Ghostrider4450

My father just upgraded from that to a D300, sooo...its on sale for a very cheap price. My first love is film/video, and photography is just something I like to do in my spare time + use the stills in my video products. I have used it plenty of times before and I like it, so it works for me. I find that I can clean up the noisy pics in Aperture pretty well, so its not as big a deal to me TBH.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yeah, i was big on photography when i was a freshman on campus.

then i moved off campus where i could have guns and have't been taking pictures as much :hs:

23. Ghostrider4450

This was an interesting review of BTs Defensive Carbine Course, written in March of this year.

Here at AK47.net: http://www.ak47.net/lite/topic.html?b=9&f=19&t=226028

Again, this is coming from another person with ZERO experience, so I can see how its hard for him to judge the class fairly without a good frame of reference.

You can read his whole review here:

http://www.ak47.net/lite/topic.html?b=9&f=19&t=226028

24. footratfunkface

25. Ghostrider4450

I couldn't agree more. Life doesn't give you a chance to take a breather.