WEB code frenzy friday, added RSS and announcement blocks

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by biawokauns, Jan 31, 2009.

1. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

just some insight into one of my projects. we were having an issue with displaying specific announcements to specific sites. before i had everything version controlled it was easy to pop in, edit the announcement file, and be done. the problem was, i'd be looking at anywhere from 1-2 edits per site, up to 7 sites. kidna a PITA. after I moved the announcements to a common folder, 1-2 edits would display the announcement on every site. the problem we ran into is that we didn't want the announcement to show up on all sites, all the time

what i ended up doing was adding flags to the config file that would control whether the announcement would show, this time, I added a "site specific announcement" as well. this would not be version controlled, and resides in the virtual directory. eventually, I will move this to my admin panel so it can be dynamically flagged/modified.

Code:
    // ********************************************************
    // 					announcements
    // ********************************************************

$announcement_site_specific = true;
    $announcement_top = false;
    $announcement_middle = false;
    $announcement_bottom = true;

inside each of the pages (index, single view, etc) i'd use somehting like this
    Code:
    <? if($announcement_top || $announcement_site_specific){ ?>
    	<div class="clearer">&nbsp;</div>
    	<? if($announcement_top){ 
    		include_once("$common_path/inc.announcement.header.php"); 
    		echo '<div class="clearer">&nbsp;</div>';
    	}?>

<? if($announcement_site_specific){ 
    		include_once("inc.announcement.site-specific.php"); 
    	}?>
    	<div class="clearer">&nbsp;</div>	
    <? } ?>

next up was the RSS feed, I've been wanting to create one to showcase recent uploads (since we have addict users). creating hte feed before seemd like it'd be a PITA to maintain...not anymore thanks to version control :bowdown:

i was able to bang the code out and test it in a few hours. one of the other reasons was so I could sydincate the content to the facebook pages I am building out :run:.

this is what we have:
    http://explainthisimage.com/ (should be able to subscribe via firefox/safari)
    http://explainthisimage.com/rss

but i didn't stop there...i ran the feeds through feedburner, and can pull analytics off of it :bowdown:
    feed://feeds2.feedburner.com/ExplainThisImage-RecentlyAdded

and the FB page I just set up
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Explain-This-Image/51772971539

the best part about this (and I know i keep talking about how it's version controlled), is that once I finished testing and coding I just ran my update script...BOOM, EVERYTIHNG enabled on all the sites :hsd:

not sure if you guys care, or that makes sense... im tired now :o

2. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

great idea for the explain this :bowdown:

3. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

became a fan on facebook :o

4. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Grrr took my sfw pron idea lol. Been wanting to throw something up like that forever just because I love those chops.