Code 10 - This device cannot start error with wireless NIC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lock Jaw, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Lock Jaw

Lock Jaw Custom Title OT Supporter

i recently purchased a dlink pci wireless g adapter for my computer, but cannot get it to function and am getting the error "this device cannot start (code 10)". i disabled my onboard ethernet, and tried every combination of uninstalling/reinstalling with the card and the software to no avail. i've tried both of my pci slots and the uninstall/reinstall, but still nothing, and i'm pretty much out of ideas. if anyone has any suggestions (other than formatting.. i'd prefer to avoid that), they would be much appreciated.. thanks!

edit: specs

core2duo e6400
    2 gb ram
    windows xp pro
    asus p5b
    320 gb sata hdd
    ati x1950 pro, pci-e
    and the wireless card is a dlink wda-1320

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

asus p5b <<<< there's part of the problem.

almost always a code 10 has to do with the wrong driver. Every now and then it can indicate a bad mobo or card. Once in a blue moon it can be an OS issue.

uninstall the drivers, and turn the machine off. Remove the card, ensure the contacts are clean, and reinstall firmly. Turn machine on and download the latest drivers (do not use the cd, and do not use windows update). If you get a code 10 again, reboot.

see if that works.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

also note that DLink has put out a notice that their adapters are having problems with Service Pack 3.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member