Coaxial Optic Cable

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

???

I got a free dvd player with the buying of new tires. It has no Optic cable connection but requires a Coaxial optic cable. Is this just a single wire?

2. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

It says Coaxial digital.. you are right. I have a bunch of regular RCA cables but I guess they don't work b/c they are not 75ohm video cable.

Just for future reference. When you have a pile of RCA cables and in there you see the yellow cables, white cables and red cables. Is there any difference between those cables or are they only color coded for easier use?

3. 04

04 Guest

Actually a normal RCA cable would work just fine. Id get a 75ohm video cable just to make sure, but I wouldnt worry about it too much. Hook up one of the cheap cables and see if it works.

The difference between the different colored cables is that the yellow stands for video, red for right channel audio and white is left channel audio. Sometimes the yellow cable is more robust and an actual true 75ohm cable. The yellow cable should pass the digital audio signal just fine if it can display a video signal.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Wierd thing is that it didn't. I went out and bought a shielded 75ohm audio cable and it worked perfect.

Other questions: I now have everthing plugged up and am using the coaxial optic output from the dvd to the coax. optic input on the reciever. Now when I put in an Audio Dvd it says PCM. Is that the Reciever converting the audio from anologue to digital? Would that happen on any cd? It's the first time I've ever seen the tuner do that and I've played mp3's on it before only without the coaxial optic cable (it had a true optic cable before).

I'm just a mite confused about that.

5. 04

04 Guest

Does it still say PCM when you play a dvd? It should say either DTS or Dolby Digital.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

No. It scrolls Dolby Digital 2/0

Another question. :big grin: What does AFD stand for ?

7. 04

04 Guest

You will want to cycle through the dvd's sound modes then. With dolby digital 2/0 all you are getting is a 2 channel stereo audio signal.

No idea what AFD stands for.