MIL coast guard is looking more and more attractive

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Ripper, Nov 20, 2007.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

So ever since I graduated from college Ive been having trouble getting a job. All the police departments and government agencies have gone on hiring freezes because of tax cuts and have just lifted them. I have a B.S. in criminal justice and every where I look its one big catch 22. Every one wants work experience but to get the work experience I need a job. Its been sucking. I was thinking about going coast guard. Im going to go with a few of my friends to a coast guard recruiter. Im debating doing IT with the coast guard.

Any one have any experiences with the guard or any info they can give me. Any jobs worth going after and information about their ocs programs.

2. SiegG

SiegG The real-life Dale Gribble

My best friend leaves for Cape May on the 11th of Dec.....he and I have had the same hiring issues with LE, so he went that route (he just got married, his wife forbids IQ and his job will keep him out) and I went the Army route. If I'd had a four year or was you, I'd take the officer route but that's just me.

3. NPH

NPH Guest

i was expecting some female member pics

4. NPH

NPH Guest

Wow, that sucks. Glad I went military first. I'm close to my associates in criminal justice. Most places either look at the military experience over the college or want that plus 60 credits as well. I'm almost there. :hsd:

Just curious though, why the Coast Guard? Your post didn't mention anything about why you prefer that over the other services? I'd go USAF for technical jobs.

5. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Getting a good job usually requires getting a lower level job with the intention of moving up. Let them know in the interview that you have every qualification to serve in a higher capacity with the exception of on the job experience.

6. s3rca

s3rca New Member

why not go ET in the coast guard ( thats what i am ) you have to go through the first portion of ET school as an IT anyhow and as an ET you end up doing IT things from time to time anyhow. on smaller ships you'd be the system administrator as an ET as an IT you wont get that chance . just my 2 cents.

7. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

whatever u do make sure u go the officer route. u'll make more money starting out and u'll get "managerial" skills that will make u more appealing to the civilian sector if u decide to get out.

8. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

From what Ive seen coast guard mainly stays around the U.S. and I wouldnt really want to be that far from the U.S. I would go army for certain jobs but it seems like the coast guard and air force are what im looking for. Im not to sure about the air force but I live in miami and they have a base down here so I have met alot of the coast guard guys and every one Ive talked to loves it. all the marines and army guys the majority of them hate it and a few like it. So im going by feed back as well as what im seeing from them

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

just talked to an army recruiter and I have to talk to a coast guard recruiter next tuesday. Bassically the army guy wants be to go enlisted instead of officer and is showing me all of the bonuses and shit and telling me that I will be going in as an e4 and will rank up pretty quick because of the degree. He told me as an officer it really depends on what the needs of the army are at the time so you wont be able to pick what you want but he said if i go enlisted and then go officer from there I would be able to choose.

What do you guys think of that?

10. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

go officer, you will make more money and it looks better on resumes.

11. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

unless u go see an officer recruiter specifically a normal enlisted recruiter is going to feed u bullshit which has clearly already started and ur already believing it. use the interweb and find an actual officer recruiter NOT an enlisted recruiter. an officer recruiter will really tell u whats up.

12. s3rca

s3rca New Member

13. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i third the notion of going to see an Officer Recruiter, nothing agains being enlised but if you have a degree and can go Officer DO IT. Besides the monitary benefit the experience is diffrent.

14. kazimer

kazimer New Member

he wants credit for you as a recruit. yes its true that you wont get a guarantee on your job as an officer candidate, but going enlisted then officer wont help you out either. basically you rank 10 branches in order of preferences...90% of the time you get 1 of your top 3.

cliffs: go officer no matter what branch you choose. dont buy into the BS thats its all paperwork, lack of skill/respect for junior officers, waste of military time, etc etc. most of the people that say this are jealous they are not officers.

15. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I think he laughed because he knows its true and found the statement funny.

17. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Because he gets kick backs for every recruit he gets, and he's not an officer recruiter so he can't recruit you for that.

I'm applying for Navy OCS right now. Just gotta finish some security paperwork and my package is complete.

Call an officer recruiter.

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

gonna see whats up with the coast guard officer program

19. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

i tell u what if u want to be a pilot. last i remember coast guard had a guaranteed pilot program if u can pass all the test u can go to pilot training guaranteed. marines have the same guaranteed pilot program. army is hurtin for officers in every sector especially if u wanna go combat arms. so if coast guard wants to be stingy with ocs slots army will take u in a heart beat.

20. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

Look harder for a Law Enforcement job. South Florida is a great place. Trust me the jobs are out there. I know a 19 year old kid that was just hired...

21. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

california is hurtin for cops also. they have frickin adds on buses saying "now hiring"

22. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

waiting for monday to hit up the coast guard recruiter and im taking the asvad on tuesday with the army

23. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Thats all kind of pointless if you want to become an officer. They take a different test than enlisted.

24. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

its so easy to get in the Army as an officer right now, DO NOT EVEN discuss going enlisted

25. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

ripper for christ sakes dont take the asvab officers dont take that. for the last time go see an army/coast guard recruiter