SRS Co-worker on a power trip?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Dec 3, 2006.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

So I have this co-worker, who is actually my direct "supervisor" (well, in all honesty, she's actually like a secretary for a group of us, but she puts together our work schedules and whatnot... no ultimate power to do anything to us, though) who is really on a power trip lately. Our availability for work during the next school semester is supposed to be to her on Monday, and she sends out emails every couple days pestering us to get them to her ASAP (before the deadline that she clearly stated in the first place). I've got most of my schedule done, but I have to wait to hear back on Monday from one last instructor who is supposed to be overriding a prerequisite for a class I want to take.

Her emails keep getting more and more offensive/condescending, and today she sends this one out:

Well frankly, I'm sick of her "better than thou" attitude; but I don't know how to approach dealing with it. We all do have a supervisor/department head that ultimately makes final decisions about hiring/firing, diciplinary action, etc... but I don't know if I should go to her first or not? All I know is, she does this kind of thing ALL the time, and not just via email. I've even had clients I've worked with complain about her to me.

What should I do? I really am getting to the point where I can't ignore it. I had to fight myself not to reply to that email and rip her a new one already....

:noes:

2. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Explain the situation (why u don't have this or that ready) blandly, like a robot.

Politely ask her to adjust her attitude. It is unnecessary.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

My only concern with asking her to adjust her attitude is that I don't want to start a bigger fight. With her, I just don't know how she'd react even when told/asked politely.... :hs:

I did reply and explain why I didn't have it to her, and at the end I put "You will have all of the information you need by the date and time originally specified in your email from two weeks ago."

:dunno:

4. JohnJohnJohnson

if she reacts badly then never bring it up again and endure her terrible personality. so be it.

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

If she set a deadline of the 4th, she shouldn't bitch untill the 4th. Be straightfoward and tell her whats crackin and tell her to chill the fuck out.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'd print that email, walk into your department heads office, and place it on his/her desk. She could take her "threats" and shove them up her ass IMO.

There is no need for her attitude and it sounds like she needs to be taken down a couple pegs, just make sure you complain to a person in a position to do it.

7. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

A reminder is one thing, an e-mail saying you will get screwed is unwarrented. When I said let her know whats crackin I ment to go and tell her exactly why she doesn't have the info yet, and he has every right in the world to tell her that she needs to behave in a more respectable maner towards him. If you don't like the way someone talks to you, tell them to change they way they speak. Its just being respectfull.

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I'd suggest printing off that email, and going to a superior with your concerns. Your superior may just say "hey, you need to go talk to her about it", but at least if that happens, you can let her know that you are talking to her with your superior's recommendation. If you talk to her beforehand, there is a chance she may get emotional/bitchy about it.

Keep a record of all your emails from her and to her. When replying to her emails, just keep it relevant to the details of work. Do not bring up the attitude in the email, this could start a little email bitching war.

That's my advice.

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

My suggestion is this, if you know her e-mail, send an anonymous e-mail from a computer from the library for instance, and write her off your feelings of maltreatment towards others, hopefully she'll get the idea, if you step towads her boss with a complaint don't do it alone, bring everyone along who thinks the same about her. As you aren't the only one who is afflicted in this situation, you most likely will find support if you really make it clear that you are serious about reporting her. Then all together file a complaint, and especially that e-mail you got from her is quite good evidence and ammo to get her actions seriously questioned.

10. JohnJohnJohnson

woah that's way overboard

just do what i said. robotically explain the situation to her regarding your current work status, then politely request that she slightly adjust her attitude towards you - point out that you are also invested in getting the job done on time. thus u show common ground and u hopefully get less bitching.

viper is the master of the indirect approach so maybe that works for him but i have gotten more things done (successfully) by being direct and polite than by trying to get people to do what i want without being upfront and letting it make sense for them

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

Uhhh want to bet? The position I'm in right now is the ONLY student employee position at my school where benefits include 8 credits per semester of tuition covered (basically 8 credits free) and free parking anywhere on campus in staff and student parking lots. If I weren't in this job, I would lose my tuition benefit and have to pay for parking.

So no, quitting isn't an option here.

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

For the record, this girl HAS known what the reasons are that she has yet to recieve our schedules. Yet she just sent out another reply to someone who gave his schedule to her and also said "I don't wanna get screwed."

So I just had to fight myself not to hit "send" on this reply I typed out after reading that bullshit

Does that sound totally unreasonable, or am I pretty much justified in thinking this way (and should I send this email)? And just to clarify, I personally have NEVER missed a deadline before.

13. pixing

pixing New Member

if you've never missed a deadline, just submit what she has asked and get over it?

Am I missing something? If you're just a student she *is* better than you, ie earning her living on an ongoing basis while you're going to be gone at the end of the school year, right? Maybe she is getting sick of dealing with a rotating crew who, as a rule, make her life more difficult. And perhaps she should consider a new role that is more stable.

But the problem is yours - if you don't have to deal with her more than a few times a year, just forget about it. If it's really bothering you, you might speak to her directly as stated above and explain that you've always complied with deadlines and that the threatening tone is unneccessary. If it's ongoing, and affecting your work performance, save your e-mails and show your supervisor.

14. JohnJohnJohnson

no the tone is impolite

"ah, but"

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

No more impolite than she's being...

16. BlazinBlazer Guy

Yeah, you're missing something. We're both just students. No one is better than anyone. And no, I won't be gone at the end of the school year. This is a job I've been working for three years now.

Umm.... no, the problem's not mine. Maybe you didn't read everything I said before this? I deal with her daily, and hear complaints fairly often.

17. JohnJohnJohnson

and therefore... it's not about what she "deserves" (which is rudeness) but how best to get rid of her attitude, which is what i suggested. don't look for satisfaction look for an effective communication