GUN Co. OK's explosives for use on Prairie Dogs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 8, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think we need a CO WMD Meet :eek3:

denver & the west
    Explosives a go for prairie dogs
    FARMERS NOW ALLOWED TO BLAST PESTS
    By Jeremy P. Meyer
    Denver Post Staff Writer

Explosive devices can be used to kill prairie dogs, the Colorado Wildlife Commission decided Thursday - giving farmers one more tool to get rid of the burrowing animals.

"I'm tickled pink," said Matt Fickes, a Sterling farmer who has sought to use the devices. "I've got prairie dogs so thick I can't see straight.

"Ever see that Star Trek episode, 'The Trouble With Tribbles'? It's like that," he said. "They are born pregnant."

Landowners have been allowed to shoot, vacuum, poison and drown prairie dogs - but not blow them up.

Now they'll be permitted to use hand-held devices, such as the Rodenator and Varmitgetter, that ignite explosive gases to collapse the burrows.

"This idea was set up to give people another alternative," said Joe Lewandowski, state Division of Wildlife spokesman.

Use of explosive devices was sought by ranchers, farmers and organic-produce growers, who feared using poisons would affect their certification, Lewandowski said.

Jim Dyer, director of the Colorado Organic Producers Association, said he doesn't know of any organic farmers who have requested the use of the device.

Dyer said it is his understanding that using propane in the ground would violate the organic rules set up by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Conservation groups criticized the ruling.

"It's very depressing that they would go to this length just to have another way to wage war on wildlife," said Judy Enderle of the Prairie Preservation Alliance. "This is a milestone. It's disgusting."

Lauren Nolfo-Clements, wildlife scientist with the Humane Society of the United States, called the commission's decision "egregious."
    :ugh:

"From a humane standpoint,

Advertisement

it's a complete nightmare," she said. "A lot of times it won't work unless you do it multiple times. It wouldn't kill them. It would just explode their eardrums."

Still, on Fickes' 60-acre spread, where he raises cattle and pigs, the new devices will soon be booming, the farmer said.

"It looks like someone shot at my ground with a howitzer and came by with a Rototiller," he said.

Fickes has tried poisoning the prairie dogs and shoots about 20 a week.

"I'm losing the battle," Fickes said. "The prairie dog is a rat with a shovel. I would rather blow them up than poison them."

The 11-member commission on Thursday also established a seasonal closure period for prairie dog hunting from March 1 to June 14, during the breeding months for white-tailed, Gunnison and black-tailed prairie dogs.

The commission set a three-month period in which prairie dogs will be protected. But it lifted an eight-year ban on hunting black-tailed prairie dogs on public lands.

Staff writer Jeremy P. Meyer can be reached at 303-954-1367 or [email protected].

2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I need to find some farmers with a prairie dog population problem :eek4:

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

This quote made me:rofl:

4. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

fucking awesome :bowdown:

5. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Hell, all someone would need to do is offer to host an OT WMD meet on their property. Maybe even offer to supply the ammo.

6. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

:bowdown: :bowdown:

.22lr bulk packs are cheap. I would love to take some down with my 10/22

7. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I'd offer to host it on my property but I only have about 8k square feet :mamoru:

8. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

I wonder how long it'll be until someone empties an oxygen & acetylene bottle into a hole...

(v.BIIGGGBADDAABOOMM)

9. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I went to the gunshow a cpl weels ago with a friend and while we were there there was a guy set up selling rifles and I overheard him say that with that .17 hmr he was trying to sell, it6 pops praire dogs heads off when he shoots them.
    :hsugh:
    That and we dont even HAVE prairie dogs here

10. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

This fucking reminds me of Caddyshack.

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

12. poonmonster

poonmonster OT Supporter

That would almost be worth me driving all the way to CO for