CNG SUV v. fill up station costs...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by hvy55chvy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

Im looking into the possiblity of a 2500 silverado Bi-fuel (runs on gas or Compressed natural Gas) 4x4. Aside from going to my local CNG fill up station i have not found a way to get current CNG costs at the pump. It is supposed to cost between 15% to 40% less than the equvalent in gasoline. But ive heard that natural gas prices have been on the rise reccently. If you fill up at a public CNG station in your area let me know what you are paying. Thanks

Also, any opinions or experience in here on factory installed Bi-fuel pickups and SUVs?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not worth it, imo. Worse fuel economy basically kills any "cost benefit". And My gas bill for my home has gone from $20 a month (service minimum) to almost $70 a month... And the A/C is electric, so that's not the culprit!

Stick with standard fuels if cost is the issue. Honestly, if there was some "magic" cheaper fuel, we'd be on it!

3. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

I havent seen any worse fuel economy on the medium class trucks ive looked at. The one i really like gets 12 to 14mph city on gas while 16 to 18mpg city on CNG. Thats with a Chevy 6 Liter V8 and auto trans. True, these figures suck compared to a commuter car gas milage, but im in the market for a full size ride so i can see the economy as being good. There is power lost while in CNG but according to a driver of a Bifuel fleet van I spoke with it cant be felt when driving normaly on the road. Ive read there can be a 6% to 10% drop in power in CNG mode.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

From GMC fleet salesmen I've spoken with I've heard about a 25% reduction in power and fuel economy. It's fine for driving, but the engine uses more fuel to do the same amount of work, which hurts economy.

One of the few benefits is reduced emissions. You can safely run a CNG vehicle in large confined spaces, such as a warehouse with decent ventilation.

5. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

Interesting. Thanks

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I was looking into bi-fuel initially in my hunt for an alternative for a new truck, and CNG is pretty cost effective if you have good availablity and cost where you live. Most CNG trucks get very similiar mileage out of both fuels, but considering a gallon equivelent of CNG costs roughly $1.90 or so depending on your location, costs considerably less in these $3.00/gal gasoline days.