WEB CMS Discussion - Joomla!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Azazel28, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

So, out of the designers who here uses Joomla!?

I have found that both Drupal and Joomla have their uses. I usually switch between each depending on the project and what a feel like. Does anyone use Joomla exclusively?

I am actually in the process of investing in Expression Engine, we will see how that goes.

2. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

I've set up all three and found Drupal and Joomla both frustrate the heck out of users. I'm currently evaluating Expression Engine also and like it would be much simpler for a non-tech content manager to use.

3. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I will never again deal with joomla. Ever. Fuck that slop.

4. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Simple CMS FTW... using it for the first time with my site. It's awesome for anything not too complicated.

5. themolsen

themolsen New Member

simple CMS indeed. I like it for most projects I've needed a CMS for. it doesn't have the flexibility and options of other CMS's, but it's pretty awesome and has tons of community support/templates/extensions, etc

I used it for my company's site redesign: www.freshministries.org :dunno:

6. swz

swz OT Supporter

Both Joomla and Drupal are retardly such a hassel to get use to their backends

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

For new users, yeah.

Knowing the CMS would have complete opposite results.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

i use joomla for our intranet.. it is mainly a static setup (users don't contribute anything) so the learning curve is moot for them. it serves its purpose.

9. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I think that's the case for any CMS - it should serve its purpose. Joomla works for a lot of things, but it also DOESN'T work for a lot of things.

Personally, I like the joomla back-end and have never had many problems with it, but I can understand why someone might dislike it.

10. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I think a lot of people also fail to understand the point of things like joomla & drupal. They're not made to be a fit for any website. They were created as sort of an open-source sharepoint. I mean you can create almost any regular website using sharepoint but for some things it just doesn't make sense.. same with joomla/drupal.

otmp3.com for example would benefit none from using joomla.. you could make it work, but it would be overkill.

11. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:ugh:

I think you might fail to understand the purpose of a content management system.

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

13. Browning

Browning Active Member

oh snap otmp3.com reference. R.I.P:wtc:

14. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

CMS was not made to make any website. They are alright to throw up a quick site with different pages that all look the same if you're lazy, but for a real website it is horrible unless you use it for what it is intended for. Something like.... gamespot would be horrible on joomla.

RIP otmp3 :(

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Do you know what a CMS is? More specifically, have you ever used Drupal before? Much less even know what it is?

16. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I've dabbled with it, although like this thread is named for, and what I have already stated, I use joomla. I'm not going to argue about it. Drupal & Joomla were created as an open source competition to sharepoint... like the only website on earth running sharepoint is msn.com. For any real project a custom coded website will almost always be used.

Drupal/Joomla are great for getting a site thrown up in 2min without worrying about if your code is going to be 100% right. And they have some powerful capability, but they are not an end all to website creation.

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

So, basically, you don't know much about Drupal. I gather that from this post and your previous post where you state:

I'm also not to sure why you're saying "...without worrying about if your code is going to be 100%". If your code doesn't work, it won't execute correctly. In result, the framework is going to output a lovely error.

Drupal is a platform, a content management framework, for the SOLE purpose of creating real websites. Nobody said anything about CMS based platforms being the "end all to all website creation". Using this logic that you've applied, one could say that there isn't much sense in using frameworks such as Zend or Rails even because in your opinion creating a "real website" would require the site to be custom built, when the purpose of these utilities is to assist developers in rapid development. Not utilizing these tools for rapid development, whether it be a completely serious web application or not, is foolish. If you have had any experience in coding in frameworks you'll know exactly what I mean.

Do you know what's under the hood of the CMSs? For Joomla, a solid framework using MVC design patterns with a CMS built on top of it. Do you know what's under Drupal? Drupal, barebones, is simply a modular framework. That's it. What made Drupal a CMS? Modules that were developed for the framework to extend a series of CMS functionality. Ie: Module for menu generation, a module for content creation, and so on.

Not trying to argue with you on this. And I'm not trying to say that Drupal/Joomla aren't competition to sharepoint. I believe to an extent, they are, but I also believe Drupal and Sharepoint cannot even compared on an even scale, but if you did, I'd tell you straight up that Drupal has a lot more flexibility due to it's scalable presentation layer in their application model. All I'm saying is that you're completely wrong on these CMS was not made to create any websites. And about your Gamespot comment, Drupal WOULD be a good candidate for Gamespot.

And if you're creating a Drupal based website in 2 minutes, you're doing it wrong.

18. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Looks like there's some serious confusion and overlap on CMS/CMF/Framework definitions here as usual +D