GUN CMMG 3-Gun Competition v.poppedmycherry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Well I've never competed in any sort of organized shooting other than my school's intramurals. CMMG held a 3-gun match on Saturday, and since it was only a couple hours away, I decided to go. Unfortunately I didn't take pics, but there's quite a few threads on ar15.com with someone who did take pics and vids. I'll re-post here, with a little commentary.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=695438&page=1 Here's the post with ALL of the pictures. 56k-forgettaboutit. Lots of good action pics. Post them if you have any questions.

There were about 66 shooters/competitors. 3 courses of fire, and COF required 2 weapons. Shotgun to Rifle, Pistol to Shotgun, and Rifle to Pistol where the stages. All weapons were held for starting, and laid on a table to pick up for the transition. It was a safety thing since there were about 20 new shooters, myself included.

COF1- Shotgun at clays starting from start position, shoot clays available, then move to shooting position 2, engage remaining clays with shotgun. Safe weapon and put in box. Move over to pre-staged rifle, put on spool and shoot 3 reactives at 100, then 200. Move to second spool and re-engage 3 reactives at 100 then 200. End of course.
    Vids: - Not of me, but you get the idea of COF
    COF #1 (1 of 3)
    COF #1 (2 of 3)
    COF # 1 (3 of 3)

COF2 - Pistol to shotgun - Start with pistol at low ready, Start by engaging 6 plates at 15yds or so. Then texas star. Safe weapon and put in box. Pick up shotgun, and engage 15 pepper poppers, which where pretty close together so you could hit more than 1 at a time.
    Vid:COF #2 - Again, not me.

COF3 - Rifle to Pistol - Start with weapon ready, off safe. Start and engage 3 reactives at 100, left to right, or right to left, move over on barrier, and re-engage reactives. move to 1st box, 1 shot per target on same reactives. Safe weapon, and put in Box, pick up pistol, move back to same shooting box, load mag, and chamber, Engage 8-10 pepper poppers, move to second shooting box and engage remaining poppers, with reload as needed
    Vid: COF #3

Here's a few of me that got in the mix:
    COF2 - Transition to Shotgun. Kneeling to get a better angle on the poppers.
    [​IMG]
    Same
    [​IMG]
    Same
    [​IMG]
    Here's Me at COF3, Sucking at rifle. I couldn't hit the targets at 100 for shit. Yet I did ok on the COF1. I'm not good with slightly support standing rifle.
    [​IMG]
    Other side of target:
    [​IMG]

Not Me, but shows a good shot of rifle part of COF1
    [​IMG]

Scores haven't been posted yet, but here's my times for the COFs:

COF 1 - 99.02sec
    COF 2 - 36.35sec
    COF 3 - 108.08sec

Pistol used was my Sig P228, Bone stock, but I used 226 mags with x-tender.
    Rifle used was my CMMG bargain bin 16" carbine with HBAR, bone stock with less than 200rnds through it.
    Shotgun was my Mossberg 500 Persuader that was a week old, less than 50 through it.

Zero Malfunctions on any of them. Though there were quite a few semi-auto shotgun malfunctions.

It was a great time, and the sun-burn I got proves it. The shoot was great and very accepting of new shooters, since all targets were reactive. It was slow to get all 66 shooters through all of the COFs, but it was fun to watch. I loved it, and hope to get more into the shooting sports.

2. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

looks fun

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

SWEEET!

That looked like a lot of fun. Lot's of fans of Pony Tail girl. lol

So what did you think about the rush of being in front of a timer and peers? Nothing like it, and the anxiety that builds up prior to coming to the line.

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Yeah pony tail was pretty popular on the arfcom thread.

Well it's funny you mention that AB13. I didn't really get nervous for the first one, as I was watching a different COF and overheard my name saying I'm in the hole. So I run and get all of my gear and then get it set up and go. The rush was awesome, I was just worried about screwing something up and getting a dq or seriously blowing my time and looking like a fool in front of the 20-30 people standing around and watching you.

They posted the scores in this thread:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=32&t=304916

I got 12th out of 66 on my first time, and would have done better if I hadn't totally screwed COF3. But for my first time, I'll take 12th. I had a great time, and recommend everyone go out and competitive shoot, it adds a new feel to the sport.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

Wow, not bad for your first time! Good job!

6. Fireball

Fireball OT Supporter

I've always wondered, WHAT is that thing (other than a buzzer) they hold by your head behind you?

Is it like a shot counter? It's a blue box in these vids.

And where can I go to find local places that do things like this? Is there a site that lists info?

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

This is more for rifle but works well for shotgun w/ slugs. Put your left knee down instead of the right. Then put your right elbow on your right knee. This creates a kind of monopod for the gun. Fairly stable. If you are working off a low baracade/port bench off the baricade too (more on this later). To get super stable (if you got good knees), sit down on your ankle too, while monopoding off the knee.
    [​IMG]

When working off a baricade like this grip the handguard with thumb and index finger and then lock remaining fingers around top of baricade. There are lots of variations of this technique and you got to learn them all. like overhand the handguard and rest your thumb off the baricade (works well for tables. If the baracade is the wrong height or your working through a window you can go off the side by palming the wall, extending your thumb and using that as a rest. Or the reverse thumbing and resting off the inside edge of your hand. If the barracade was sturdy enough I would also lean into it and put my left knee up against the barricade. For precision shots your looking for 3 points of contact.
    [​IMG]
    Other side of target:
    [​IMG]

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

That blue thing is a timer that starts at the sound of the buzzer and does split/lap times for each shot it hears. It displays the time up to the last shot, so after the shooter is done with their last shot their time is displayed on the timer.

I found out about this shoot on ar15.com's hometown forums. Just google the type of competition you're interested and your state and that'll get you started. Some forums work well. There's a lot of un-sanctioned shoots that are out there that operate under slightly different rules. this 3-gun match didn't operate under any set of sactioned rules, so it didn't count towards any national ranking.

CMMG is having their national 3-gun championship with lots of prizes to give away, but the entry fee is $200 over 3 days of shooting.

9. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

Damn, I knew it was happening soon. I should of called. I'll have to wait till early summer for the next general shoot/3 gun practice session.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

They have their national 3-gun competition June 6-8, but it goes for 3 days and is $185 entry fee with 150 entries only. It draws people from all over, but they give away A LOT of prizes.

Thread:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=32&t=301522

11. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Nice pics!