Clutch Suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dracord, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Dracord

Dracord Always late on title changes

98 Accord hydraulic system.
    Currently 200hp/210tq
    I don't think i'll break 250/275

200-300 dollar range, Don't really want too stiff.

Suggestions?

2. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Exedy Cerametallic 3-puck.

Fairly cheap, feels great, and grabs like a mofo, but is not harsh.

Otherwise, an ACT stage 3 would probably be nice.

3. C25A1guy

C25A1guy Guest

I think you'll be perfectly fine with a exedy stage 1.

4. IrishBoy

IrishBoy Guest

ACT 2600, even a 2100 would do.

5. AgentC

AgentC Guest

exedy stage one will do........Unless you have 350+hp I would never NEVER suggest a puck. Most ricers do for some reason and wonder why they always break something in the tranny.

6. Pleiades

Pleiades Guest

I have exedy stage 1 in my WRX its around 300 hp.

7. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

spec stage 3

8. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

God I hate selling clutches to people like you at work. Overkill is bad, I hate it when people are like "I have about 150hp in my turd-ass Corolla, hmmm i think Ill put a 6 puck w/ an unsprung hub cause my friends tell me thats the right think to do."

9. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

I sell probably 15 to 20 performance clutches a day, it is so funny to hear the shit some of these people do and say cause "my friend said that was right" or "but I read it on the internet"...

10. Pleiades

Pleiades Guest

lol so true if you car is not putting down tons of power get a clutch that is in spec for your power.

11. bottle

bottle Guest

speedsin where do you work?

RPS ss series is good or exedy stage 1

12. CIVIC SiR DUDE

CIVIC SiR DUDE ^^WANTS A NEW SCREEN NAME^^

i have an ACT Extreme pressure plate and street disc with the ACT flywheel on my JRSC SI and its a great clutch. I havent had any problems with ACT :bigthumb:

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Where do you work? I guarantee if it's a shop around here, I've prob. already seen shit from you to guarantee that you don't know what you're talking about.

I have a Prelude that's putting down about 310 at the crank while spraying; I needed an upgraded clutch, and the Exedy 3-puck fit the bill perfectly. Unlike any other puck-style clutch I've felt, the Cerametallic 3-puck actually feels VERY close to stock, yet it holds all the power I throw at it. I am almost always driving it with only 220 at the crank, and it behaves very well.

Do you want to question my experience? If so, we can make this a pissing contest. If no, then accept this for just what it is: an opinion based off of my own experience.

14. evan2

evan2 Guest

action clutches.. tilton if your a baller

15. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

I respect the fact that your putting down such nice numbers, and that clutch is working well for you. But why use something that is so overkill? A car with such low hp numbers as the originator of this thread wouldnt need something that a car putting down 250+ (ie. yours) would need.
    Im not saying you dont know what your talking about, im just tired of people giving others misleading/inaccurate info (cause I deal with it everyday). By the way Ludeykrus, where are you from?

16. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Well I don't really consider it overkill. With a clutch, you never want to take it full to the limit of the clutch. In this case, the clutch is good for 350 ft/lb's. With my setup, I should be making right under 300, so that gives me a good margin of safety. Also, I am never quite sure of where I am going to stop with this clutch. If I choose to go w/ a more powerful setup, I won't have to worry about upgrading the clutch again.

One thing to keep in mind is that the clutch's ratings are at the crank, not at the wheels. While he may make ~260 HP at the wheels, that's over 300 HP at the crank. It is easy to mistake numbers if you don't use the right measurement.

Another factor is the fact that the Prelude guys have used this on straight big n/a builds and it performs well. While it may be able to handle much more power, I don't think it is "overkill" for a lesser setup. It handles the power, is not too "grabby", is easy to feather, and is not hard on the tranny. "Robust", maybe; "overkill", I don't think so.

I am from just south of Gainesville, and a bit north of Buford/Mall of GA, if you know where that is. How about yourself?

EDIT - I completely agree with you on the people spreading misinformation thing; this clutch just happened to be an exception! I see soooo many people who want the bigger part, even if it's not a good choice on their setup. I DO agree that any other puck-style clutch and/or with an unsprung hub would be horrible on a mild setup like his, or heck, maybe even mine! I built my motor 100% myself, aside from the machine work. I completely understand the workings of my car and its drivetrain, and I hate it when people act like they do when they don't.

17. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

I understand the point your making. I also understand that you seem to know what you are talking about, my problem is there are so many people who dont know what they are talking about and give people poor info that can really mess an amateur up. So I apologize if I came across as a dick.

Not only do I sale performance parts I install them as well. I do this as a profession and a hobby. So I do know what I am talking about otherwise I wouldnt speak on an issue. Anyways, yes I do work at a local tuner shop (probably one of the biggest), no I dont know everything. But I certainly wont give you advice if it will hurt or hender you...

18. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

This kneegro speaks the truth. oh and Hyper clutches are suppose to be pretty good too