A&P Club photos?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coughlin's law, May 15, 2009.

1. I've got a friend who is DJ'ing Saturday night, and I've got another round at it, I'll be armed with my Rebel XT, 430EX with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, 50mm 1.8 and Sigma 10-20...

But I'm wondering what settings I should shoot to take good photos, the area is going to be lowly lit, but what should I do?

2. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

this was helpful for me [y]7NEmufNi70w[/y]
    [y]O5WEwsVvku8[/y]

3. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Talk to turbodude

4. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

good stuff. i think it would be fun as hell to shoot that kind of stuff...

5. oliver

oliver New Member

drag the shutter!

6. melv14

melv14 New Member

Careful now.. Not too much unless you want that "HOLY CRAP WE'RE DRUNK AND EVERYTHINGS BLURRY!" club effect.

Rule of thumb: Dont shoot below 1/focal length. Ex, if you are using your 50mm, dont shoot below 1/50 of a second.:bigthumb:

If you want sharp photos, your 1.8 will come in a lot of handy. If you have a speedlight, you're set! Make sure to bounce it off the walls, dont aim it right at the subject.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Hmmm..... 1/50-ish maximum, big aperture, bounce the speedlight off walls and floodlight the scene.

This seems like the polar opposite of turbodude's proven approach to killer club shots that have a lot of atmosphere and ambiance combined with tack-sharp & lit subjects.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Depends on what he is shooting.

If he's shooting club patrons, he needs to aim the flash at them or slightly angled up but tone it down a little and drag the shutter a little.

You can't go into the club knowing what settings to use. They're all different, have different lighting, have little to no room, etc. The 50mm f/1.8 is going to be pointless IMO. A 17-50 will be the best bet.

My club shots, back in the day, were usually set to around 1/30-40 with the flash toned down to -1EV (adjusted as needed) and ISO set low. This lit up and froze the subjects but left the shutter open a little longer to catch some of the club lighting/action.

9. oliver

oliver New Member

I shoot in clubs every week and i go as low as 1/2 ss or even a second, and with a bright enough flash, you can freeze your subjects (club patrons) and allow enough ambient light into the lens to give you the colors and natural look to the background. You dont want 'deer caught in the headlights' kinda shots where everyone looks like they are standing completely still. :mamoru:

When you're in the clubs sometimes you have to try to convey an image of fun and excitement. Not allowing enough ambient light IMO kills that 'natural' feeling of a nightclub.

Yep i agree completely about the 50mm being pointless. Even on a full frame i'd find it to be restrictive. My 17-50 is sharp on both ends and it gives me WAY more range for larger groups. I usually put my fongsphere at a 90' angle so it spreads light all around me, in front of me and more importantly off the ceiling. I shoot at about 1/4 to 1/2 power on my 430ex with the iso anywhere from 100-400.

10. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

POR QUE??? WHA???

these are at 1/2-1/4 second at f5, iso800, with my lumiquest aimed right at the subject.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 sec exposure
    [​IMG]

Coughlin survey your scene, since you will be shooting the DJ mainly, focus on a couple things.

-Capture Emotion
    -Feel it out, play around with the shutter speeds, You want the person to be exposed with your flash, but you also dont want too much ambient bleeding on the face
    -Get crowd reaction
    -try different perspectives, get low and get high.
    -And make sure to ask if the DJ minds the flash, some do, some dont care.
    -Pay attention to the beat of the music. Most lighting guys will strobe the lights or doing something to the drop of certain beats. Listen for them and use them as your backdrop.

I would suggest bring the 10-20 and the 50. You probably dont need the 17-50 if you are primarily shooting the dj.

11. oliver

oliver New Member

Spoken like a true proffessional :cool:

No homo :mamoru: but you've always been someone who inspires me to get better. I love your work bro :hs:

12. turbodude

thanks man i really apprciate that, im just some dude with a camera. Anyone can do it.

Just work hard like everything else, and practice and read, and practice and read. :) Never stop trying to learn stuff. Its very interesting how one aspect of photography will directly effect how you "SEE" another aspect.

13. oliver

oliver New Member

:werd: Thats what i always tell people who look up to my work and ask me how i know so much. I tell them to read read and read some more. Its like a book to me...the more you read the more you understand how everything else correlates with each other. Otherwise you're one of those idiots that shoot in P mode solely for the fact that they dont know what ss iso or aperture mean or how they affect each other

If you ever have time to give me some CC on my club work i'd appreciate it. I can link you to my latest galleries via PM. Thanks in advance.

14. turbodude

sure send it on over, i will give you a C+C by the end of the weekend :)

15. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

nice pics turbo.

16. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

While I don't want to discount your work, I truly agree. Club photography isn't as hard as people make it out to be. I've seen way too many of these threads pop up and people over think them waaaay too much.

17. turbodude

i know what i do is easy. I have no grand delusions about that. :)

18. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

You know what they say. Your job skills (in any job) only get you 15% of the way. The other 85% is your personality and how you work with others. And you seem to be reasonably successful turbodude, so you're doing something right that not every other guy with a camera is. Kudos to you.

19. pawis

pawis werd em up

uh, im pretty sure he listed his 430ex...

20. Nice pics indeed turbo, but what if i shot say 1/3 and iso 400? Should i set the 430ex on Manual or E-TTL?

21. oliver

oliver New Member

I always shoot manual to avoid the e-ttl reading the scene wrong due to white dresses, white shirts, too much contrast in the group's outfits etc. 1/3 at 400 iso might be a bit too overexposed. Always try to start with 100iso which will produce your cleanest image.

22. turbodude

i always shoot ettl. but mainly because i know what my flash is going to do, Just from experience. you really have to feel it out. I wish i could tell you some settings that will work for you but without knowing the scene its gonan be hard.

When you get there, surely there will be an opening dj. turn off your flash, and take some pics. Dial in the amount of Ambient you want via shutterspeed or f/stop. Then turn on your flash an dial that in via FEC.