Cloudy clearcoat? :dunno:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Buck-O, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I detailed a car this weekend with a very weird problem. I cant seem to figure it out, so im looking to Scott (or anyone else) for a little help.

Ok, this car is a 98 Nissan Maxima, metalic blue, with a cloudy clear coat on the sn beaten panels of the car. I.e. the hood, roof, and trunk deck.

Its weird becuase the cloudyness looks like oxyidization, but the clearcoat is perfectly intact, and glass smooth.

I tried DACP, SFP, 3MPI, and SEPC. And clayed before applying any of the polishes.

The weird thing, is that none of them removed the cloudyness.

But heres the really weird part. After each application of product, the cloudyness went away, or at least became less cloudy. But 5-10 minutes after applying the product, the cloudyness came back. I can only assume becuase the oils had evaperated.

So, im a bit stumped here.

The clearcoat looks fine, line glass, no imperfections, no cracking pealing, or anything of the sort. HArd clay doesnt remove it. And yet when i apply polish, it disapears, only to reapear once the oils evaperate.

The other weird thing, is that when i applied wax (hoping that maybe it would help to seal the polish in...it streaked.

S100 left fingers ont eh paint. So i repolished it with SEPC, and applied NXT. NXT did the same thing. Not as noticable, but just as annoying as the S100.

And this only happened on the cloudy portions of the paint.

Im just curious as to what it might be, and how to cure it...that doesnt involve a spray gun. :hs:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf -

I'm not seeing a pic. On my car the clearcoat is starting to seperate from the base coat. It looks somewhat cloudy. Again, I cant see a pic if you posted one so I can't tell if it is the same as mine.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Sorry, i accidentaly blank posted :doh:

I dont have a digital camera at my disposal currently, and my camera phone wasnt detailed enough to pick up the cloudyness.

I would imagine that it is a similar prodlem to what you are talking about.

But its odd that a polishing coumpoud would temporarly hide the cloudyness.

It just doenst make sence to me.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf -

The problems with my clear coat are still visible except when wax or other product hazes up. I have been using s100 cleanser and wax and after I buff the wax off there are streaks on the paint, I usually buff again the next day and those go away.

I'm told the roof of my car was pretty bad, the dealer had it repainted before I bought it. The areas on the hood are getting larger as time goes on. It does look like oxidation but no products make it go away. I am told a repaint is the only way to fix it. It is a '94 MB C280 in Metallic Green.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I think you have a clearcoat on the verge of failure or the base coat is oxidizing under neath the clear.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Thanks for the info, i was affraid thats what was happening.

Ill try re buffing it tomorow, and see what i can get it to do.

7. CSballer16

CSballer16 New Member

I would repaint then add polish on top to prevent any wear or tear in the future~

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Polish "prevents wear and tear?" :ugh: