LGBT Closet people, your opinion on this article?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Werm, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Werm

Werm Guest

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316316,00.html

It was posted in offtopic, want your guys opinions.

2. :|

:| Guest

fruit flies != humans

we lack the organs to detect pheromones

3. Ivan

Ivan New Member

I still don't really get how that affects me as a human being and not a fruit fly.

If someone can explain it to me in simpler terms, I'll appreciate it.

4. kidwiththeshirt

kidwiththeshirt I'm gay, big deal, wanna fight about it?

i dont' particularly care for it

5. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

well, if they find a substance similar to "GB" that reacts in human biology, then this might lead to something.

but what is that something? that homosexuality can be "fixed"?
    what if we don't want to be?
    wouldn't, then, straight people also be able to be turned gay?
    maybe funds for scientific studies can be used for better causes (aids) than making a headline for newspapers?

6. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

when they perfect the method for using this thing on humans, someone let me know. I have a few people that I want to make gay against their will :o

7. :|

:| Guest

it's never going to happen, we're simply way more social than fruit flies

8. Elusid

Elusid New Member

That's exactly my thoughts. Being gay isn't a disease that needs to be fixed... I personally wouldn't want to be straight. GAY FTMFW! :mamoru:

9. Werm

Werm Guest

I see it more as "proof" to those who still believe it's a choice.

10. Werm

Werm Guest

It could also mean anyone of any orientation could swap there desires.

11. Ivan

Ivan New Member

I don't want to swap my desires, though I can see how some people would.

I mean, sometimes I think "Fuck everything, I wish I was straight". But what that really means is "I wish I was straight from the start". No way I'm "swapping" now, I am who I am. And I like men. And what men have. :mamoru:

12. zortnac

zortnac New Member

Hmmm...well, obviously humans are far more complex than fruit flies, the reproductive system's of which may respond much more dramatically to simple "flipping of bits" (if you will) in their DNA.

The body of evidence points to their not being a "gay gene" in humans, and by that I mean some mendelian trait that hard-dictates a person's sexual orientation. What the body of evidence does suggest is that it is strongly biological in nature and, for the majority of hay people, innate and immutable. The most convincing piece of evidence recently was the study of fraternal birth order which showed that with each male child a woman carries to term, the odds of another male child being homosexual go up.

To tie it back to the fruit flies, what the evidence is suggesting in humans is that the biological roots of our homosexuality may be traced back to our development in utero, and obviously fruit flies are not mammals and do not carry their offspring to term and give liver birth.

ok...so...my opinion then as a complete layman? I think it would be really interresting if what happened with these flies is at all applicable to humans given the vast differences between our species, but that may just reflect how little I know about the sibject.

oh..and...um, yeah, hypothetically if this led to a "cure" that would make me pretty pissed off ;-)

13. Werm

Werm Guest

It could also be used as a population control method among animals

14. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Fixed.

Awesome for war too, guys that have been away from their girlfriends/wives for months suddenly want to see what Steve feels like inside of them. :mamoru:

15. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

LOL, i think that happens anyway.

16. Digital_

Digital_ New Member

A fruit fly is not a complex being. They reduce fruit fly population using simplified methods. This has nothing to do with human sexuality, it's being used to reduce the cost of controlling fruit fly population. Human sexuality is far more complex than a single trigger. Anyone that thinks about this too much, isn't thinking clearly.

17. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I like the article.

If humans are found to have a similar pheromone reaction as fruit-flies:

It would prove that we didn't "choose" to be gay, but we were wired to be gay from birth.
    It would show that nurture had nothing do do with sexuality.
    And plenty of self-loathing gays might take the drug and be straight... and if it makes them happier, then so be it.

I'm all for everyone being more comfortable in their own skin.
    I'm comfortable in my skin as a gay man, so I wouldn't change my sexuality, given the choice.

18. pulp priest

pulp priest we're here! we're queer! we don't want any more be

Someone tell me if I'm missing something, but it seems to me that even in the best possible scenario, this drug will never make anyone straight, it will only make them not respond to same-sex phermones. Pheromone response studies have already proven that gay men involuntarily respond to male pheromones, just like women - turning off that response would just make their sexual desires more muddled and confusing.