Close stance on oly squats...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by timberwolf, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Just to keep it consistent I keep my feet spacing the width of a 10lb plate and feet straight forward. Too close?
    I have the same feet spacing with my front squats... thing is while I go atg on both, there's not too much difference between my front and back squat.

2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I squat like that as well (I eyeball it instead of using a 10lb plate, but that's a good idea) and I noticed that it hits my quads quite a bit. I like it for that reason.

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

4. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

must be something wrong with me bc i cannot keep my feet straight for the life of me. They end up pointing outward.

5. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

olympic lifters are usually about shoulder width on their squats since thats where they usually land or even a little wider during the squat recovery of a lift. thats if youre training for a lift and not to develop a specific portion of your quads. im pretty sure the rotation of your toes depends on your hip flexibility. louie has also said that squatting with your toes straight will increase hip involvement alot but also make it harder to get get down.

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Do you think that's also why my front squats and back squats are so close in weight... possibly only 10lb difference?

I was also cleaning the barbell to do front squats tonight since the rack was being used but still couldn't somehow get the hang of the little jump to regrip the bar. Ended up always lowering the weight with only three fingers around the bar. That was hard on the fingers.

7. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

^ QFT

I have the exact same problem, and the other guys in the team have that little jump down so well..

the more weight you end up jerking/pushing make it harder to do that though, and it ends up making you fall a bit forward unless you can rearrange your hands without moving the bar off your shoulders

8. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

I like to go a little wider then shoulder width. Just my preference I guess

9. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

what do you front squat? my front squats are a shadow of my regular squat :hs:

10. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

there was an article on t-nation a while back advocation front squats over back squats saying its much better and you train more muscles...

11. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

More muscle? It seems to me that you would use less, since you don't bend your back much at all.

I use a little bit wider stance with front squats than full back squats, but I'm also trying to teach myself how to do a full clean :)noes:) and they seem to transfer better this way.

12. GOGZILLA

when youre coming up to the top of the squat you have to be accelerating so that the bar will rise off of your shoulders when your body stops moving then while the bar is off your shoulders youll move your hands out slightly and grab around it with your whole hand. your elbows can come down somewhat at this point too. try it with lighter weight and see if you can accelerate the bar off your shoulders. theres also a little bit of shoulder stuff you can do but thats pretty complicated to explain. you might just be thinking about it too much it was pretty natural for me.

your front and back squat are probably so close because youre a quad dominant squatter or have quad dominant form.

13. GOGZILLA

id also say that compared to a power squat a front squat has the exact opposite emphasis.

power squat: lower back, glutes, hamstrings; abs, quads as stabilizers
    front squat: abs, quads; lower back, glutes, hams as stabilizers

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure you can't put more or less emphasis on particular muscle heads. However, this is one of those oft-debated topics (like whether or not you can work your upper abs as opposed to your lower abs), and, unfortunately, there are respectible people on BOTH sides of the argument.

But, I am from the camp where you CAN'T, so I'm gonna say your foot placement has nothing to do with what AREAS of your quads get worked. Foot placement CAN affect HOW MUCH your quads must do (ie. changing leverage, back works more, quads work less, or vice versa), but NOT what AREAS of your quads receive the most stress.

It's kind of like how back in the day they said doing BB curls with a wide grip worked the "inner biceps" and a narrow grip worked the "outer biceps." It might feel that way, but that's not what's actually happening.

Flame on.

15. GOGZILLA

i disagree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.