Cloned HDD and WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tonyboling, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tonyboling

tonyboling New Member

A task i'm currently working on is to get a bunch of old Gateway E-4400 computers that have WinNT and install XP Pro on them. Needless to say I'm having trouble doing so, but the person that was here before me was able to do it. After trying unsuccessfully with three PCs and grabbed a cloned HDD the last person made and installed it into one of these PCs. They're all the same because they all came from the same source so they have the same memory and same video card etc...

Anyways I put the cloned HDD into the PC and booted it up and it brought up the screen that gives you the option to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration and normal. Well no matter which option I choose, I get the loading bar and then it freezes.

At the top of the screen it says:
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

Well obviously there's a different HDD in the PC but what I'm wondering is that based off of that error message, could the PC that this HDD was originally in that was installed with XP Pro been upgraded? I mean I guess it could have because the person never kept a log of things they tried to get it working. These E-4400's were manufactured in August 2000 so I can barely see XP Pro working on them very well.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

2. ski

ski New Member

I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

Do you want help installing xp on them? Or help with why the cloned hdd wont work?

3. peerk

peerk New Member

You can try doing a repair install of XP.

What was the problem when you tried to clone them yourself? And what software were you using?

4. ski

ski New Member

Can you do a repair install over a WinNT install?

5. tonyboling

tonyboling New Member

Sorry, I got it. I dumped the cloned HDD with XP Pro and just kept trying different HDDs until I got one to install. I'm gonna clone that one and try it with other machines.

Thanks for the help!

6. chips

chips ...

install a fresh copy of XP then run sysprep from the deploy.cab file

made a copy of that image and your good to go!