GUN clips and magazines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Dec 21, 2007.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I've seen here the emphasis on differentiating between a clip and a magazine. Which is why I found this humorous when I read it.

This is a portion of text from Shooter, the autobiography of Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, one of the top USMC snipers with over 60 confirmed kills.

And from a few pages later:

Now, I'm not here to fight a war, nor am I trying to say that a magazine is not the proper name for a metal box holding rounds that attaches to your weapon, but I did find it kind of amusing reading this. After all, do I go by what a 60+ kill USMC sniper calls it or, or do I listen to a bunch of guys on an internet message board? :rofl:

Maybe we should all write and correct the Gunny. :mamoru:

Actually, I just started reading it and it looks like its going to be pretty good. Those were pulled out of his story about being in Somalia and taking out a couple of anti-aircraft weapons with operators and putting a handful of rounds into the drivers' compartment of a couple tanks with his .50 cal sniper rifle. If you like those kinds of things might want to check it out.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Marines are not the brightest bunch.

3. Werm

Werm Guest

"pushed in" is also how you load a clip. I don't know enough about .50 cal sniper rifles to know if they use a magazine or have a fixed magazine.

But the definition "a bunch of guys on an internet message board" is correct when it comes to clips/mags. Mags being the removable box and clips are stripper clips.

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

He was using the M82A1A Special Application Scoped Rifle. http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinefacts/blm82.htm

It uses box magazines.

As i said, I do realize that magazine is proper, I just found it quite humorous when I read it as the very first thing I thought of was the guys on OT would be all over this guy. :big grin:

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Shooter is a really good book.

and magazine is the proper word.

6. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

The way I see it: clip is to magazine, as "nine" is to 9mm. Both clip and magazine are descriptive of what they are, and almost everyone will understand what you're talking about. But consider if you go to the range with a 9mm and refer to it as your "nine" everyone will know what you're talking about, but they'll look at you like you're a fucking idiot.

:dunno:

7. Werm

Werm Guest

99% of the time I say magazine... and once in a great while "clip" will slip out.

But I always say "stripper clip" when talking about clips.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

"I deposited a copious amount of odiferous fecal matter in the lavatory."
    - or -
    "I took a gigantic stank-nasty shit that god damn near melted the fucking porcelain."

You get the point either way. It's a story book, not a technical manual.

9. t1h

t1h Guest

you call en blocs a stripper clip :hsugh: