WEB Clients dont trust you when you give them an hourly rate

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pharmokan, Sep 6, 2009.

1. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

whats the best way to go about giving them a "per page" rate so they dont fuckin throw a hissy fit when they get the bill suspicious of you jacking up the hours?

2. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

also how the fuck do you know how many hours it will take you to build a website when you give estimateS?

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I generally give a final figure on an agreed product and changes after that quote I quote separately.
    Now knowing how long itll take is tricky I guess its experience I generally just give them a lump sum quote and approx hours.

4. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

i am weary of anyone giving me a lump sum quote with approx hours of work put into the project

that shit is so :ugh:

maybe i would trust a guy whose been doin this shit for 20 years, so that would mean most of us would have to start building websites at age 5 to be in that category :ugh:

5. ge0

ge0 New Member

I usually just give them a final fixed amount... Its up to me to make sure it doesn't take longer then I estimated. If you've done enough projects, you typically know how long it takes.

6. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

:werd:

7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

hell yeah clients hate hourly rates. I hired 5 programmers so far, each of those assholes took way longer than they quoted to finish. Face it, on an hourly rate its in your best interest as a programmer to stretch the project for as long as possible.

8. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

This is what I do too.

9. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike Guest

Just agree on a price and try to come in under the amount of hours you expected. Come in under and great, you made some extra money. Come in over and I guess you should agree on a higher price next time. :o

I've never understood why clients agree to hourly rates ... they're not the ones doing the work so why is it their responsibility to pay more when things take longer?

10. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

this

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

You just have to watch your shit if they want a million changes

12. bitchno3

bitchno3 New Member

that is what an hourly rate is for.

I've learned to figure out the project, and give a set rate, which includes a set number of changes, and if they want more changes, then I start charging an hourly rate.

13. wayno

wayno New Member

I have one client that I’ve worked with for over a year now that I bill at an hourly rate. It’s a manufacturing company that’s still engineering the products they’re hoping to have on the market next year, and are unsure what type of web presence they desire. It’s a fluid environment, with lots of ideas floating around. They’re great people to work with; I’m treated more like a team member. With most clients I do prefer to work at a per-project rate, but these guys are a pleasure.