Client/Server Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by z06, Oct 9, 2003.

1. z06

z06 New Member

I recently took a test and one of the questions on them stated:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Client/server computing is a widely used form of centralized processing.

True or False?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I answered this as "True" but according to her it is "False." Honestly now, am I right or wrong? And if I am right, could you help me explain this to her? And if I am wrong, could you explain to me why? Thanks!

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Well it sure isn't decentralized processing, :dunno:

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Lets look at it this way:

Centralized processing means the processing takes place on a host. This would imply a "dumb terminal" (a monitor, keyboard, and if you're lucky - a mouse) that is connected to a network and requires a host to do its processing (the definition of centralized).

Client/Server is a client (could be a PC, MAC, PocketPC, Palm, etc) that connects to a server for a desired service (maybe a file server, a mail server, FTP server, etc). The difference here is the processing takes place locally on the client side. The server is there to provide additional services to the client, but the client machine could be completely disconnected from the network and run on its own. A dumb terminal would be screwed. In fact, when a centralized server goes down, ALL the dumb terminals are down too. So an advantage of client/server is if a server goes down, people should still be able to get into their favorite word processing program and continue to do their work.

4. z06

z06 New Member

So...True? or False? Nice explanation btw.

5. bauermj

bauermj Active Member

So FALSE, it is not centralized processing because clients are capable of performing local processing in contrast to dummy terminals.