Clicking noise coming from the computer, screen dims.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by irrompible, Apr 7, 2007.

1. irrompible

irrompible Member

Looking for some help here.

Over the last few days I've noticed that my screen dims (almost like it's about to turn off) for a split second at random times while using the computer. It's barely noticeable with the lights on, but it's real easy to see with the lights off. Each time this happens, there is a very faint click that comes from the case.

Nothing else that is one the same circuit breaker seems to affected. I'm thinking the power supply may be going up?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the screen would likely not dim if it was the psu.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Onboard video? Card? It may be intermitant

4. irrompible

irrompible Member

It's a Nvidia 7800 GTX. It's clear the monitor is losing signal for a split second, but I'm not sure what it's from. What's bugging me is the source of the clicking noise. It's only a single click, and it happens at the same exact time as the monitor dims.

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Do you have another card to test it? If so swap them out and see if it keeps doing it.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

What's the temp of your GPU? If you open the case can you hear which part is clicking? Not many parts of a computer have a moveable part that can click.. You should be able to narrow it down.

7. irrompible

irrompible Member

GPU is sitting at 68c after a few games of BF2 and 54c at idle. I can't hear the part that's clicking because it happens at really random times. I've been the on the computer for about the last 3 hours, and it's only happened once during that time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  8. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Sounds like it's a good chance it could be your PSU. Which means you're likely killing your components. If you have a spare I would put it in or at least put the case on your desk and listen for it when it pops next and see where it's coming from.