Clearcoat on roof gone, options?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 3x, Oct 8, 2007.

1. 3x

3x New Member

One of the obvious ones is to respray, but thats costly. This isn't a fantastic car, just one my friend got from her parents and uses to get around.

The roof was sanded and re-clearcoated by a tool who didn't know what he was doing, and now it's even worse. Clear coat is flaking like no other, and some parts are down to the metal. I've been thinking about re-sanding and spraying it with clear myself, but don't know where to start. Should I just use regular clearcoat?

As a temporary fix, could I sand down the flaking clear and then apply a couple coats of wax to it to protect it for the time being? I'm going to be washing the car on Wednesday, simple wash, clay, wax procedure. I may detail the inside, I'm not sure though.

Any help would be great.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Respraying is the only option. If you can sand it down yourself, reapply the color coat, then the clear, that will be the most cost effective way to do it.

It would be a waste of time waxing it, probably make it look even worse and it won't stop the clear from getting worse. Once clearcoat failure starts, nothing can stop it.

3. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

The guys on the autobody101.com forums are very helpful for projects like this.

You'll likely shell out $200 in tools and equipment, though, so taking it to a cheapo body shop off Craigslist for $250 may make more sense.

4. 3x

3x New Member

Hit it with three coats of wax today and it turned out better than it was before.

No money to respray :wtc: