GUN Cleaning your gun.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Dec 24, 2005.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I bought a Hoppes cleaning kit for my handgun, but had a two questions. What do you guys use besides those 1.5 inch cleaning patches to wipe down the exterior of your gun? Can I use a microfiber towel, mabye just a paper towel with the cleaning solution on it? Also, is there a cleaning solution that isn't primarily composed of kerosene? That stuff is rediculous and I end up with a headache after a few minutes.

Thanks

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i use the gray silicone cloths for wiping down the exterior. as for chemicals, i have some aerosol scrubber stuff but mostly i just use break free. i've also got some hoppes copper remover but rarely have to use it.

3. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

i just use those blue shop paper towels cause they;re a little softer. But those silicone cloths are cool, so i may try those out.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use silicone clothes and just cotton rags sometimes, pretty much all solvents are going give ya a headache most are all petrol based, the stuff in aeresol cans odor isnt as strong as hoppes though, just open up a window while your doing it

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I've always used the soaked patches to wipe down everything.

Open a window for the smell, you'll come to crave the old #9 high in time.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

I use Break-Free CLP

7. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I used the stuff I had but stole some make-up remover pads from the g/f as well as some q-tips. Worked really well. Only problem I had was when I was putting the Glock 19 back together. The slide? didn't want to go all the way back on. It slide all the way to back except for mabye 1/4 of an inch. I played around for a little, then I pushed down the small plate on the back and that let the slide come all the way back.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

silicone for the win0rs..

most of the time I dont even use a cleaner.. I just spray remoil in random places and wipe it off. thats usually my gun cleaning routine

:hsughno:

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

this guy I talk to every day, he said he did an experiment, he took a board, drove a bunch of nails into it, and put it outside on his porch.. then he sprayed each nail with a different gun oil..

he said remoil did the best

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

same here depending on gun I may rub some cleaner at the end of the barrel but other then that usually oil on a rag and rub down the exterior for my metal guns, the glock well i clean inside :o no need to do anything to the exterior not like its going to rust or something

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I use Hoppe's #9 and/or Hoppe's Copper Solvent depending on what I'm cleaning. Rifles I always use the copper solvents.

The handguns are easy to clean. Wet patch down the barrel, wet brush down the barrel a few times, another wet patch down the barrel, then a few dry ones.

I oil the gun up, operate the action a few times, and then wipe down the outside with a scrap rag or some paper towels to remove any excess oil and that's it. I also got one of those grey silicone rags too.

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

you know... On this board we use to get a periodic comment about a Glock KB or XDs rusting in a thread about that type of handgun but then you came along and started pushing this shit in every single thread. Now it's constant... It can be a thread about a fucking Ruger 22/45 and out of no where you'll get a "Good thing it's not a XD though so you don't have to deal with rust"

13. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

does anyone use a bore snake, are they worth the money, and wwhats the procedure for them.

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I had one and would soak the front of it where they have sort of metal brushes with solvent and pull it through the barrel. I would do it a couple times and that's it.

For a quick in the field cleaning they work great but do not really work out any built up copper at all. If I wanted to clean the barrel really well, then I'd have to use a cleaning rod and patches. I only had a snake for my rifles though.

I'm sure they would work really well on handguns since I don't seem to have a huge problem with copper build up in my handguns.

15. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

why you gotta send me on a guilt trip like dat nigga :squint:

16. san408

san408 New Member

Well, he has a point there doesn't he. :mamoru: :bigthumb:

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They work ok I've got them in most calibers for my weapons, for thorough cleaning ill still run a few patches through afterwards to get it all 100% clean.

18. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i've got one. works pretty well. as mentioned before, it isn't the best if you're trying to get copper fouling out, but for general cleaning purposes, it works. i usually just put some break free in front of the brushes and then pull it through(breech to muzzle).