Cleaning Without Reformatting?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mugwump, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

My comp is about 3 years old and a bit clunky these days. I want to clean it out and make it run nice and stable. Is there a way around this without reformatting it? Some kind of software for cleaning out the registry, startup and overall performance? I guess the ram and CPU are becoming more and more out of date, while the software I continue to upgrade needs more overhead. I use Windows XP (Home) and am aware of software for Macs that are like "conflict cleaners." Anything like this for PC? In the past, reformatting really sped up the programs, but it's such a hassle with all the gigs of crap I'll need to backup.

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

if you have enough free space on the drive, you can partition it and copy eveything to that partition, format and reload windows on teh other parition without a big headache...

the bitch I find is reinstalling everything, fawk I hate that :rant2:

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

There probably isn't an easy enough way to do that. You will also chance messing or cluttering up the machine more. I know it's a real pain, but a clean format/install is the best way to do it. You can only do so much without formatting.

4. Leb_CRX

parition magic

it's like waving a magical wand of love :wiggle:

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Lenient return policies > partition magic. Buy a second hard drive, copy stuff onto it, reformat old hard drive, copy files back, return new drive :bigthumb:

6. Leb_CRX

you my friend are going straight to hell and burning for the rest of eternity :o :wtc:

but it's ok, I like yer idea :hug:

7. Penguin Man

Heh, it's not as bad as what one guy I know used to do... He would buy packs of CD-R's from Costco, use them, wait until he had enough coasters to make up a whole pack, then return them on Costco's no-questions-asked return policy. He is going to hell.

And I wouldn't neccessarily buy a hard drive then return it, I'd just borrow an extra one from work :wiggle:

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've seen more messed up machines from using Partition Magic and other similar programs than I can remember. But, personally I have never used it. Just bad luck I guess...

CM>

9. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Okay, if I have to reformat to get more clear sailing, and all I have is an image disk of the factory installed computer, odds are I'm gonna have to backup everything and reformat to original IMG, right? Is there any way to just get Windows XP out of the IMG disk, and not all the Compaq crap they want to install?

10. Penguin Man

Your computer didn't come with an actual XP disk? I would just buy XP.