Cleaning volume knob contacts?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shadoglare, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Shadoglare

Shadoglare NeoCon Commie Hitler Wanna-Be

Would any of you guys have any suggestions regarding the best way to clean the contacts on my receiver's volume knob? It's a "manual" knob on a Pioneer receiver that is about 15 years old.

The speakers make a very load "popping" sound every time you turn the knob, to the point where I now switch off the speakers whenever I turn it in fear of blowing something out.

As I recall last time I attempted this I opened the case to find the knob was inside some type of sealed housing - how would I get into something like that without breaking something?

Any ideas are appreciated - even though it's old, aside from this little knob issue it still works too good to want to get rid of it :)

2. focalBlur

focalBlur your does not equal you're

My guess is that is is not so much dirty but worn out. maybe try an A/V repair shop see if they can source a new one

or

maybe someone else can chime in

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If you feel up to it, you can take the top off of the reciever and spray some contact cleaner into the volume pot area while you turn the knob back and forth.

That will help if the pot is just grunged up inside.

4. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Deoxit D5 on the volume control
    but if you want to be really safe then get Faberlube; it's the plastic-safe deoxit.

5. Zeromancer

did you get it working/fixed?

6. Shadoglare

Shadoglare NeoCon Commie Hitler Wanna-Be

Well, I've had it open but the whole volume knob assembly is completely sealed - there's no way to get anything into it that I can see. I was thinking of posting up a photo to see if anybody has any ideas, but I'm starting to wonder if it might just be easier to take it into the local A/V shop :/

7. Zeromancer

might get some help from the guys that post on audiokarma.org forum boards, that is if you want to sign up on that forum board.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Normally on a standard reciever, the volume pot shell is in place with some simple bent tips through the bottom of the pcb board.
    If you unbend the tips, you can pull the shell back enough to spray in there.
    The plus side of doing it that way, is that after you finish spraying contact cleaner in there, you can use a contact conditioner to keep it free from static for a couple more years or so.