Cleaning up Xp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by danza, Oct 18, 2007.

1. danza

danza New Member

I know how it works. You install XP and everything is great. A few months (or years) go by and after installs/uninstalls over a long period of time XP starts to lag some.

Solution for me has been Re-install. Is there an alternative?

I've had this install for about 3 years now and it's starting to piss me off. I have a ton of appz installed and little helper appz here and there. Too many to remember. So I really don't want to re-install this time. Is there an alternative that'll clean things up and get it to semi "just installed" status?

BTW, I'm happy with XP and won't be switching OS's any time soon (all my school appz are for windows).

2. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

some people believe this is caused by the registry growing too large so they have made registry cleaners to address these things. I'm not sure I trust those but I've heard many people say it helped the performance of their machines.

3. danza

danza New Member

so other than the registry cleaner there are no other solutions?

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Not really... and I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is your best bet, imo.

If you don't already have an extra hard drive, get one.

Then install windows on the new drive, and drag and drop as much as you can from the old drive to the new drive.

Then bite the bullet and find all the apps that you've been using. It's not like you can't do that.
    Spend a couple of days digging through the internet, and you'll find them.
    Then install them, but don't delete the progs from your hard drive. Save them in a folder for a rainy day.

As an added measure of security, get yourself a good hard drive backup software like norton ghost, or acronis, and put a image your fresh install onto the backup drive.
    Obviously, you want to wipe the old drive clean before you send the backup image to it.

The bad side is that this isn't what you want to do.
    The sunny side is that you won't have this problem again.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What Doc is saying is you should install all the shit you KNOW you want to have all at once, then make a backup, then restore that backup every now and then when your computer starts to get slow.

Failing that, there are a few things you can do.

- - -

Run the following two DOS commands:

del %TEMP%\*.* /f /q /s
    del c:\*.tmp /f /q /s

You'll be amazed how much crap it finds.

- - -

Then, uninstall all of the programs you haven't used in the past six months, even if you want to keep them. If you haven't used them in six months, you don't need them.

- - -

Then buy Norton Utilities (NOT NORTON INTERNET SECURITY!) and use the Speed Disk defragmenter to defrag your hard drive. It will do a much better job than the Windows defragmenter does.

- - -

Then do a Google search for NTREGOPT and use it to rebuild your Registry. The Registry is based on a binary tree (a trunk with two branches, each of which has two sub-branches, and so on), which is much faster to search through than a list, but only when the two sides of the tree have the same number of Registry entries on them. (If there's only one branch, with one sub-branch, etc..., then it might as well just be a list.) The Registry doesn't rebalance itself automatically, but the NTREGOPT tool will rebalance it, and I've seen noticeable results on older machines by running this tool.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

marking this for later

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

www.ccleaner.com

It will find both temp files and delete them as well as find junk in your registry that can safely be removed.

The first time you run it to remove temp files, it may take a couple of minutes, but on a system that's had windows installed for 6+ months, you're probably going to remove 500+mb of temp files. When it does the registry scan, make sure to back up any entries it wants to remove, it will give you the option to do this before it removes anything.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Interesting....I've never heard about that NTREGOPT. Have you ever had any problems running it?

9. Doc Brown

^^^ Deus, yeah that was what I meant. I was trying to not be so wordy, and I didn't get to the point.

10. deusexaethera

I once had an issue, but that was on an NT4 machine. I've run it on at least 30 XP machines with no problems.

All it does is copy the current Registry contents into a new hive, then tell the computer to use the new hive the next time it reboots. In addition to balancing the hive trees, it also (usually) results in a token amount of space savings.

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

one other thing to keep an eye on is how many stupid things are being run in the background. over time you may not realize all of the crap that you've accumulated running as background processes. just right click on the taskbar and select task manager. go to the processes tab and put a check in show processes from all users. now, you could see all of the stupid things that are running such as various itunes related junk and the like. every so often i like to look for processes and then search for the name on the internet if i'm not familiar with it. sometimes you'll find some stupid things running in the background that you thought you got rid of like some stupid realplayer stuff.

another thing to check on is how many fonts you have loaded. they all get loaded on boot.

12. deusexaethera

Doh. I completely forgot about checking MSConfig for pointless startup crap. Good catch trouphaz.

13. Kelex

Kelex New Member

might as well disable Windows XP services that you don't need

14. deusexaethera

There aren't many, though. Unless he's installed optional packages in Add/Remove Programs, he's using pretty much everything that's running. There might be a bunch of manually-started services in the list, but if they're not running then they aren't slowing anything down.

15. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Use this, and make sure your auto startup and registry startup programs are necessary programs only.

16. deusexaethera

MSConfig will let you fiddle with startup programs for free. Other than that, NEVER EVER use an automatic Registry cleaner. (NTREGOPT doesn't clean the Registry, it reorganizes it.) No Registry cleaner can possibly know what all of the entries are used for by the programs that put them there, so it can't possibly fix all the legitimate problems (if there even are any) without farking up other entries that are still needed. While Registry cleaners can be useful for bringing possible problems to your attention, you should always manually choose the actions taken.

Ask me how I know.

17. Doc Brown

The dude has a baseball bat av. Do you really want to make him have to ask?

:noes:

18. Casey

Casey New Member

CCleaner, clean registry, and defrag.

19. deusexaethera

But, my long hair implies that I have a battle-axe-shaped Stratocaster in my hands, and an impressive katana collection hanging on my wall.

20. Doc Brown

Well then carry on, son.

:cool:

21. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

or that you have a level 37 mage you're going to sic on us...

22. deusexaethera

Hah!

Actually my prized possessions are my mountain bike and my overclocked...er, tuned...family sedan. Though I do have a nice knife from India that my grandfather left me.

23. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

:werd: to most of this, although I've found O&O defrag does better than Norton Utilites.

24. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my solution has always been to just reimage the drive

25. deusexaethera

Does it sort files according to how often they get modified? That alone is worth the cost of Norton Utilities.