Cleaning up user permissions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 21, 2010.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I just got off the phone with the IT guy (also somehow related to some company executive or another) at my company's main office. During this phone call, we ran into some problems that prompted me to explain to him the concept of assigning access permissions to user groups and then putting users into those groups, and not assigning any permissions directly to users, for the sake of keeping permission lists uncluttered and making it easier to duplicate permissions for new users by just dropping them into the groups they belong in. Keep in mind, this is the guy in charge of day-to-day IT operations for the majority of the company.

This company would collapse inside of a month without me. :coolugh:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

No it wouldn't

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

What exactly is your role in this company?

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

A little self-important, are we? :hsugh:

I guarantee everyone around you at work thinks you're a prick, but doesn't let you know.

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

LOL

We had a guy from PlantCM (911 phase 2 mapping software) here last week trying to get shit working. He was bitching about Windows permissions. I went in and had to reset child permissions on a local folder and he says "Be right back". He leaves dispatch, goes into the server room, I'm assuming he fixed permissions on his server, comes back 5 mins later and viola his shit is working. Tard.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lol. yeah, a little bit.

8. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

Nah, he's just pissed about nepotism.:squint:

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Systems engineer, but given that it's still a fairly small company, I do a lot of technical-type work from IT administration to technical writing to software development on the rare occasion there is any.

Yeah, I probably am a little self-important (and for the record, I was exaggerating before), but it's hard not to feel that way when everyone else takes my presence as a go-ahead to just not think at all about anything that plugs in and turns on. I'm sure they could figure things out if I weren't around, but when I'm here they don't even try. Just this morning I had to hook up my boss' computer to the projector in the conference room because "[he] never knows which port to connect it to." And this guy was a CAD technician for ten years! Some days I can barely get any work done because I'm bouncing from one IM window to another all damn day just answering simple questions. And despite what you may think, I don't flip out on people like that SNL "Your company's computer guy" skit.

Then again, maybe people bug me about annoying little shit because I don't flip out on them for it, I dunno.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

The easiest answer is to just ignore the dumb questions that should be obvious; or answer with "sorry, busy" and go on with whatever you have to do that doesn't involve interacting with them over dumb BS.

11. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

very famous last words