"cleaning up" or fully removing files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by whitesox, Mar 13, 2007.

1. whitesox

whitesox New Member

I have read that defraging is not nessesary on a MBP unless you have large files (which i don't). But, is there anyway to do a "clean up"/remove unnessary files or remove a file completely after being deleted? I searched on apple.com/support but have a question on what came up (will this help to free up / fully remove files that have already been deleted?) http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1010.html . Does this fully delete things that i have downloaded, but then erased, that may stay on the HD? or will this completely delete the HD and/or files that i need?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/ good for remove the unused language files. This freed around 1GB of space for me
    There is an odd catch. The default settings has a number of languages unchecked (if all you want to keep is English) and for some reason English is unchecked while English US is checked. Checked items will be removed when you click the Remove button.
    It'll also get rid of unused Architectures. You're a MBP with an Intel chip, many programs are written for universal support. Get rid of the PPC support and you can free up a good deal more of useless space.

There is a catch, which it warns you about, if you have any problems because of the language files the only way to get them back is to reinstall the OS.
    I haven't had any problems as of yet.

As for the defragging, that's true to a point, but I still let DiskWarrior do it's thing from time to time. It looks for and fixes problems plus defrags at the same time.