cleaning towels/pads (i can't search :( )

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, Sep 9, 2005.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

search, search, search.... yes i know but i still don't have a subscription :wtc:

Well suprisingly i havent washed any of my nice MF towels since detailing my car and a couple others. I have a bunch of towels that need to be washed before i detail a car this weekend and want to make sure i do it right.

they are nice MF towels from exceldetail.com and also i have PC pads from there as well. I remember reading about washing but just wanted to make sure i have it correct.

what is the best way to wash the MF. do i just soak them in warm water and not use a machine, or was it use a machine but no fabric softener? Also last time i cleaned the pads i just soaked them with water and used a toothbrush to scrub all the old product off and it worked pretty well. I didnt want to damage the pad though.

2. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Dan.....MF's in hot water, dont use more soap then you would for a normal laundry load, because their a little dirtier then regular laundry. Matter of fact, use a little less. I would rather see you have to wash twice then wash once and not have them rinse thoroughly........The best option would be to pre soak. Then wash in your regular cycle. No fabric softener. Fabric softener is actually a water repellant, and thats the last thing you want with a MF.....Dry medium temp, remove from dryer while still slightly damp.

For pads, I will soak for maybe 1/2 hr in fairly warm water, with laundry soap, or diluted APC. After the product has been softened up, I remove from the bucket, spray soiled surface with APC, and agitate with my fingers, rinse under water until it looks clear, and feels clean....Air dry, out of direct sunlight......

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

With the pads, any soak time is dependent on the product. Meguiars #80 washes right out, Optimum does not and needs to be soaked for a little while. If the dirt doesn't wash out quickly while rinsing, you will need to soak them.

4. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

this happen to be the exceldetail of exceldetail.com? haha i actually bought some VM from you last week.

5. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Well if theres another "exceldetail" its an imposter..........!

6. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

lol, great service btw. =) the candy inside the package was kind of charming.

7. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

wow this detail went great, will get pictures tommorow for sure.

Car was a Jeep cherokee that hasn't been parked in a garage for the last 2 years. After washing the car the paint still felt dirty as hell. This was when i actually saw what a clay bar could do. Of the cars i've recently detailed they are all parked in a garage and washed weekly. Everytime i used the clay bar on them i didnt think i was doing it correctly since it barely got dirty. Well this car was different and it was amazing how well it took all the grit off the car.

Started with wash
    clay bar
    DACP applied by PC
    Clearkote Vanilla Moose applied by PC
    EX-P applied by PC
    S100 by hand

Car came out great and the paint is so smooth. I was pretty amazed at how the paint went from what it was and it then came back to life. Car isn't in the best condition and does have some dents and scratches that now show alot more but I was very pleased.

Pics to come in the next couple days!!!

8. Scottwax

Waiting for pics! :)

Glad the process went well for you.

9. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

is the Meguiars Depp crystal Polish any good? its step 2 ina 3 step process... i brought this couple monhts ago and was wonderin if it is any good if i were to buy a PC

10. Scottwax

zaink-it will work with a PC but it would be better to use products designed for machine use. Optimum Polish is about $15 a quart and works great with the PC.

11. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

alright, had class then work all day so i had to snap some shots from inside our garage. Ill get some tommorow in the sun light. sry for crappy pics. you can see the deep scratches on the side of the fender and major scuffs on the trim pieces down below. other than that though i'm very pleased with how the paint turned out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

Dont forget those wheel wells.

13. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

yea I didn't touch them up, just scrubbed them down when washing. I was mainly just focussing on the paint and getting it in better condition and getting it protected, she doesnt really care about the wells.